transfer Domain godaddy to microsoft 365

Copper Contributor

,I am having headache to transfer my domain from GoDaddy to Microsoft. I have 3 days and they said that the technician from Microsoft are still working. Andi it's amazing that they have 3 days for remove my domain from their services.

Daomain.net was already added to a different Office 365 tenant NETORGFT5470045.onmicrosoft.com which is managed by GoDaddy. To add this domain to this tenant you will need to contact GoDaddy support and have this domain removed from NETORGFT5470045.onmicrosoft.com. Once done you can come back and resume this step.

Help

25 Replies
If you contact godaddy (like they are telling you) godaddy will remove the domain and you can almost immediately add it to a Microsoft tenant. I’ve done it multiple times and it take maybe 10-20 minutes on the phone.

Just be aware, when godaddy removes it, it will DELETE the tennant from godaddy, so make sure everything is migrated out of godaddy before making the switch.

As an additional note...everyone PLEASE stop getting Office 365 from godaddy, it only leads to messes in the future :)

Hello @Ben Stegink that what I want, to stop using godaddy office 365, I am in my 14 days waiting that they resolve the issue, I called almost every day and nothing, now they said that the case they are moving to microsoft ( was thursday), so since thursday they are waiting that microsoft resolve the problem, they opened a ticket, what a mess with it :(

@Ben Stegink  Wiser words have never been spoken. I initially signed up for Office 365 on Godaddy and it was a nightmare. I bit the bullet and transferred directly to MS. It's so devious the way you think you're getting Office365 but you don't realize Godaddy is the gatekeeper. Shouldn't be allowed. Wish I knew this two years ago. 

@Matthew_Zebari Can't agree more MS shouldn't resell like they are doing with Godaddy.  I added license for Visio and couldn't assign or manage it since when I logged to the license administrator it took me to Godaddy and no way to use the license.  I had to call Microsoft and go through a labyrinth to get the licenses removed.

@Ben Stegink What do you mean by "make sure everything is migrated out of godaddy before making the switch."  What do you mean by "migrated" and how do I do that?

@alesrs emails in Exchange, files in SharePoint, if you are using Teams and want to retain conversations. The last time I did one of these, as soon as that domain was removed from GoDaddy, everything you had in Microsoft 365 w/ GoDaddy was deleted. You couldn't "move" your domain to Microsoft 365 natively and then slowly move content over...

There are a variety of ways to move everything over and several tools depending on what you want to do. But the process should be

1. Get a new Microsoft 365 environemtn

2. Copy everything from GoDaddy -> New Microsoft 365

3. Move you domain from GoDaddy -> Microsoft 365 (at which point in time all your content you have in GoDaddy is deleted)

Again, maybe they've made it easier since the last time I did it, but the above has been my experience

And everyone else....PLEASE stop buying Microsoft 365 from GoDaddy. They completely ruin it...frankly, I'm shocked Microsoft still allows them to do this...

@Ben Stegink 

Ben...thanks for your responses...helped me find a step closer on my issue. 

Help me with this one.

1. Domain is with GoDaddy

2. When did the domain, of course made the mistake to do the office365 there too.

3. Web hosting is with a different provider...that email is hosted with too.

4. People log in to email with the hosting provider... with their @ABC.com email account

5. Other services that GoDaddy didn't give use, users login with @abc.onmicrosoft.com account

I KNOW! 

So ... how specifically do we deal with this one?  Everyone seems to be scratching their heads?

I think what I need to do is:

A. Move the web and email hosting back to go daddy and get rid of the third party involved.

B. Download all files and such from Teams

C. Download all emails

D. Download files from OneDrive

E. Cancel the Office365 from GoDaddy...

F. Sign up for Office365 at MS on the current Azure account (.onmicrosoft.com)

G. Move the domain from GoDaddy to MS and associate into the current (.onmicrosoft.com) account

H. Change the primary domain to ABC.com instead of ABC.onmicrosoft.com [or is this step even needed]

The goal is to get everything into the current .onmicrosoft.com Azure account/tenant, users then could use their ABC.com account to get their email and sign in to all of the applications and services at that point (email, business central, visio, etc). I need to make sure we do not lose email access for more than a day or few hours through this process....

Thoughts???  Anyone???

@ROWENS15 

Did you happen to figure this out? I have to do the exact same thing I think...

I just went through this particular issue with a client. New ownership took hold of the company and requested I migrated everything from the old owner's GoDaddy account to their Microsoft Admin portal (which contains 3 other companies). GoDaddy actually packaged up all the emails/data and put it "out to sea". They emailed me with a new password for the admin account, and I had to purchase the licenses. GoDaddy gives a 7 day grace period for that. All data was there. This saved me a ton of time. I did manual backups of the data to be safe, but did not need to migrate the data manually. I would recommend doing the same with GoDaddy.

The next step is to move the domain from GoDaddy over to Microsoft. If anyone has experience with that, please let me know. My concern is the domain being snatched up on the off chance something goes wrong.

@jason165 good luck.  I just ended up giving up and got a new/similar domain name. 

@ROWENS15 

H. Change the primary domain to ABC.com instead of ABC.onmicrosoft.com [or is this step even needed]

Yes. that step is absolutely needed. It is much easier for single sign-on, password memory, etc to have your work email as your authentication. if that step wasnt really necessary, there would be a lot more email domains abandoned at godaddy's door.

not that we really care how many email domains godaddy ends up sitting on....... 

@jason165

No chance of losing the domain name if you are only transferring it from godaddy, because the actual domain registry is not being changed. Even if the registry was Godaddy, they are not deleting the domain from the world, only the managed mail from their server. This is why you transfer from godaddy's onmicrosoft portal, into MS365 portal, and all you do is change the MX record to redirect mail. you still own the actual internet domain name

@Ben Stegink I've been a O365 customer for years - so that I could have the office suite. I've also been a customer of godaddy owning a domain and webhosting services along with email services (I think the main account was free initially with the webhosting/domain package) with some ancillary email accounts for doing business. The business is now defunct but the email domain is well established and I'd like to keep it. Naturally when Godaddy informed us that they were migrating us to O365 I was like... well, I already have an O365 account... no sense in paying Godaddy AND Microsoft, right? I contacted Microsoft support about combining the two and allowing O365 to take over the domain and my email... but they were less than helpful.

What would you suggest? I'd like to keep the domain, lose the webhosting but have it managed by Microsoft rather than two vendors.

In my case I have only the domain registrar and "Email Essentials" account with Godaddy. The email account was migrated by Godaddy to O365 via their federated tenant. This subscription will end next year. I currently have a Microsoft 365 Family account and I will want to move my tenant from Godaddy to Microsoft so I can use my own domain emails with my Microsoft 365 Family subscription. I don't have a problem exporting all my email to pst and them importing back to my 365 family account. I'm only very worried by all the stories i read related to the procedure to get Godaddy to delete my domain from their tenant so I can add it to Microsoft. Is there a magic word when calling Godaddy and ask them to do this to minimize the outage caused by this move ? I had very bad experiences with Godaddy tech support, it seems they have people there that are completely unqualified for this.
In my case I have only the domain registrar and "Email Essentials" account with Godaddy. The email account was migrated by Godaddy to O365 via their federated tenant. This subscription will end next year. I currently have a Microsoft 365 Family account and I will want to move my tenant from Godaddy to Microsoft so I can use my own domain emails with my Microsoft 365 Family subscription. I don't have a problem exporting all my email to pst and them importing back to my 365 family account. I'm only very worried by all the stories i read related to the procedure to get Godaddy to delete my domain from their tenant so I can add it to Microsoft. Is there a magic word when calling Godaddy and ask them to do this to minimize the outage caused by this move ? I had very bad experiences with Godaddy tech support, it seems they have people there that are completely unqualified for this.

@nicni001 

In Our case we were bogged in nowhere middle - we moved to Microsoft 365 after almost 10 days of messed up and wasted so much time, at that time we made the migration of email data from server to local/offline PC into a PST file of Outlook - Later we imported PST files on Outlook 2019.

Godaddy is mess with Microsoft 365 and one would feel bogged in a mud-pie.

Direct Microsoft 365 is recommended so to get on time support service

ben is right - that you should take a backup always prior to delete and move or switch to different service provider.

Once the data deleted by server users faces issue related to email - emails are also most important part, calendar, contacts, notes, meetings, to-do list and labels we filtered out emails.

Hope your issue was fixed.

This thread would be useful for all those users who may face the same issues.

So, this is an older post, but had this topic come up again the other day and found some steps that made this even easier. You can actually defederate your domain from GoDaddy to regain complete/normal control of the tenant. This way you can release your custom domain, move it to a new tenant, or actually just keep your tenant, but purchase your license from Microsoft or another CSP without dealing with all the GoDaddy stuff. Only downside if you keep the tenant after you defederate is the goofy URL. Anyways....all that aside, if you're looking to get away from GoDaddy check this out (this isn't my post or site...just one I stumbled across) - https://tminus365.com/defederating-godaddy-365/

@nicni001what migration tool is the best to migrate from GoDaddy to M365? 

@nicni001 

Agreed with the comment, seems it needs a plan to transfer Domain from Godaddy to Microsoft 365, btw, did you think about MX records or sub Domain stuff can help for your case?