SOLVED

track email

Brass Contributor

Hi experts ( i have exchange hybrid environment)

i have below requirements. please help me

1. someuser@somedomain.com has sent an email to user1@mydomain.com on June 26 2018. i want to know the time when it has been received on my exchange server or to the users mailbox.

2. similarly user1@mydomain.com has sent an email to someuser@somedomain.com on June 28 2018. i want to know when did this email
left my exchange server or is it dropped

i tried the below syntaxes, i am getting lot of information but i am not able to find out exactly

Get-MailboxServer | get-messagetrackinglog -sender someuser1@somedomain.com -recipients myuser1@mydomain.com -start "06/26/2018 00:00" -end
"06/26/2018 23:59" | select MessageSubject,Timestamp,Eventid,Source,Sender,Recipients,SourceContext,MessageId,ServerHostname |
Export-Csv C:\report1.csv -NoTypeInformation

in the above syntax i am confused how to check when this email has hit my exchange server

==================================================================

Get-MailboxServer | get-messagetrackinglog -sender myuser2@mydomain.com -recipients someuser2@somedomain.com -start "06/28/2018 00:00"
-end "06/28/2018 23:59" | select MessageSubject,Timestamp,Eventid,Source,Sender,Recipients,SourceContext,MessageId,ServerHostname |
Export-Csv C:\report2.csv -NoTypeInformation

in the above syntax i am confused how to check when this email has gone out of my exchange server

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for example i have one xyz application , this application is sending email to some SMTP relay and then this email hits our gateway and  then to my exchange server. so for this reason i want to know when has the email hit my exchange server or gone out of my exchange server

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Rising Flight (Brass Contributor)
Solution

The tracking logs are very verbose, so you're not alone that it's a lot of information to parse. What you'll want to look for or filter by is the event type (great breakdown of types here).

For scenario 1, RECEIVE will be the event for Exchange receiving the message, and DELIVER will be the event for delivery to your user's mailbox.

For scenario 2, SEND will indicate the message was sent out of the Exchange server.

For identifying failures, there are multiple different event types to consider (see link above).

If you just want to see certain events, you can add a filter of -EventId and then the event name in quotes to your Get-MessageTrackingLog search.

Hope this helps!

hi below is results of the syntax i have edited some of the information

i can see STOREDELIVER and DELIVER which means the email has been received by the end user

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-TransportService | Get-MessageTrackingLog -Sender exchangeonlineuser@mydomain.com -Recipient
 exchangeonpremisesuser@mydomain.com -start "06/28/2018 00:00" -end "06/28/2018 23:59" | fl

RunspaceId              : 654d2367-c2ef-480b-b6aa-59f760bb0db0
Timestamp               : 6/28/2018 7:00:57 PM
ClientIp                :
ClientHostname          : myexchangeserver02.mydomain.com
ServerIp                :
ServerHostname          : myexchangeserver01
SourceContext           : XXXXXXXXX;2018-06-28T12:55:40.570Z;ClientSubmitTime:2018-06-28T12:55:19.000Z
ConnectorId             :
Source                  : STOREDRIVER
EventId                 : DELIVER
InternalMessageId       : 18606543789045
MessageId               : <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
NetworkMessageId        : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Recipients              : {exchagneonpremisesuser@mydomain.com}
RecipientStatus         : {}
TotalBytes              : 47654
RecipientCount          : 1
RelatedRecipientAddress :
Reference               :
MessageSubject          : Test Email
Sender                  : exchangeonlineuser@mydomain.com
ReturnPath              : exchangeonlineuser@mydomain.com
Directionality          : Originating
TenantId                :
OriginalClientIp        : X.XX.XX.XXX
MessageInfo             : XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
MessageLatency          : 00:00:00
MessageLatencyType      : EndToEnd
EventData               : {[IncludeInSla, True], [MailboxDatabaseGuid, xxxxxx],
                          [Mailboxes, xxxxx], [StoreObjectIds, xxxxxxxxx
                          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx==], [FromEntity,
                          Internet], [ToEntity, Hosted], [P2RecipStat, 0.007/2], [MsgRecipCount, 2], [DeliveryLatency,
                          0.000], [AttachCount, 0], [E2ELatency, 1.697], [DeliveryPriority, Normal], [AccountForest,
                          mydomain.com]}
TransportTrafficType    : Email
SchemaVersion           : 15.01.1466.003

That's correct, it has been delivered to the local mailbox.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Rising Flight (Brass Contributor)
Solution

The tracking logs are very verbose, so you're not alone that it's a lot of information to parse. What you'll want to look for or filter by is the event type (great breakdown of types here).

For scenario 1, RECEIVE will be the event for Exchange receiving the message, and DELIVER will be the event for delivery to your user's mailbox.

For scenario 2, SEND will indicate the message was sent out of the Exchange server.

For identifying failures, there are multiple different event types to consider (see link above).

If you just want to see certain events, you can add a filter of -EventId and then the event name in quotes to your Get-MessageTrackingLog search.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post