The new Outlook search in the title bar is disconnected from the content it searches

Steel Contributor

I appreciate the benefits of Microsoft Search in the Office apps but I'm getting feedback form multiple people that having the search in the title bar is unhelpful because they need to use the title bar for dragging the window around. In Outlook in particular, having the search box so far away from the content that you're searching is jarring. I understand the value of consistency, but I think that the utility of putting search with the content it searches overrides being consistent at all costs. Can we have an option to move the search box back down to the content in Outlook, and perhaps not to have it in title bars at all?

222 Replies

I totally agree. This is making the UX much worse! Please change it back or give us the option to choose. Thanks

I agree; Just placed feedback. If you size down your window under 80%, there is no grab and drag to move space. If you use remote desktop, that connection bar covers the search box too.

Admin didn't disabled it, is there a revert button or can I download an older build for outlook with the search bar on it's default location or am I stuck with the search bar on the title bar?

@Carm465 Hello, I'm also on version 2004 (Build 12730.20236) with no option to revert to the legacy location. But on another machine I'm using version 2003 (Build 12624.20466) and the toggle is there (it's the previous update for the Monthly Channel). Depending on your configuration you can change the build manually.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2770432/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2013-...

If that's not applicable you can try experimenting with the command prompt (launched as admin).

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun\

OfficeC2RClient.exe /changesetting Channel= 'your choice'

OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user

You should be able to get several hits if searching for the procedure.

@HidMov 

Hello,

I am new to the group and also am not a fan of the search bar being moved  up to the title bar.  I havent heard of the fast ring Outlook yet. I'll google it to see what its about. 

Thanks Debbiejj

Please give us the option to move the search bar back to where it used to be. This has got to be the worst decision ever taken by Microsoft.

@Firas65 

I think I can fix your problem.  I fixed it on mine this morning.  

Close out of all office programs except for OUTLOOK

Go to "FILE"

Scroll down to "OPTIONS"

In the middle, scroll down to "PRIVACY SETTINGS" click on this box

Then un-click "ENABLE OPTIONAL CONNECTED EXPERIENCES"

Click OK.  

Restart Outlook 

This put my search bar back to where it was prior to the updated new version.

@BigJohn1966 

Thanks Big John but that did not work for me.  FYI I am using Outlook 365 if that matters.

Sadly we do not have the coming soon toggle in the upper right, the "Collapse by default" option, and BigJohn's suggestion of disabling connected experiences did not remedy the issue. 

@Firas65 

Strange - it worked for me and my co-workers.  Good luck - if you find a solution, please post it.  Mine is back to old school - at least for now - it may not be tomorrow.

@Mary Branscombe 

The new search bar is terrible.  It needs to go back to the original.

@Christine1755 Hi Christine, please vote for it https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/322590-outlook-2016-for-windows/suggestions/39046513-search-at-...

Depending on Office version and client configuration you can toggle off "Coming Soon" in the Outlook client menu bar (top right corner). This will revert the search bar to its legacy location (see previous posts if you need more info).

Hi @BigJohn1966 

This was quite a few months ago; reading back I think I initially misunderstood what Mary was saying regarding the settings. The new search bar has been rolled out to my tenant now and while I'm not a super fan I'm just cracking on with it now. I can access the search tab now for advanced options which I think I found tricky before.

Yes I agree@Mary Branscombe ,

it is very bad, on the old search it propsed solutions and started filterin as I wrote about 3 signs, now, nothing. The results are bad, I search for mail I know are existing and its not picking them up. I have several account and it is completly confusing where you are, it says current mailbox, but its disconected from the mailbox. The position is good for a global search across ALL mailboxes but not for a singular mailbox. Plus it takes some time to get up there with the mouse, I use the mailboxes as "data storage" for comunication, data, etc and the search was great before this update . Now its about as worse as 5-6 years ago.

Agreed!  Microsoft please fix this ASAP.  We don't like this. Put it back with the inbox.  It makes no sense for it to be in the titlebar.

My work uses a remote server for all our workers to access our main programs rather than them being installed on our main desktops. With the search bar in its new spot, the "X" is behind the remote info bar at the top of the screen. I can unpin it so that it disappears but as soon as my mouse it near the top of the screen it comes back and blocks the search bar so I have a heck of a time canceling the search. I am a dispatcher for my company so I am constantly searching through emails to follow up with technicians so this is incredibly inconvenient.

@Mary Branscombe 

I join the others in stating this is an appallingly awful change.    It popped up on one of my machines.   I rolled back the office 365 version only to find the search bar unmoved.  How can that be???  MSFT makes changes that are not part of the update process?????

I am beginning to suspect that it is actually an operating system change vs a ms office change, but it is not clear.   It seems the search location change was not related to any update.   It literally showed up without any known updates happening to the computer.   

I also want things to be set back to the way they were.   The <control-e> keystroke mitigates some of the pain, but this  "server error search on local computer" is truly intolerable.  What server?  Can't be exchange server, as outlook is happily connected to exchange.  Why can't search be configured to look on the local machine first???

It raises my blood pressure just to write this.  ☹☹