Teams/Sharepoint file management

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Our organization has recently upgraded to Office365, approx. 90 users across 6 different departments. 

I am trying to understand how we best move from the old on-site server (with a myriad of folders and files), over into a new time with Sharepoint and Teams. We run 100+ projects per year, and we are deploying Teams to manage that. However, where files before were stored at OnSiteServer/Department/Project folder, they are now being stored in a document library belonging to a particular project on sharepoint? And were do we store files not belonging to a particular project?

Basically, I am looking after places to learn how we best manage project and non-project related files in the environment of Sharepoint and Teams, and how it relates/differs from our current old on-site server. 

Any feedback would be much appriciated. 

2 Replies
Not that easy to give you a full answer! It all depends on how you structure files today and how you work etc!
For each team, you get a SharePoint site with a library belonging to that Team/ group! But you may also use Sharepoint to create more sites / libraries etc to store files! An intranet is an example where to store company wide files in SharePoint or just link to other sites for each department for example, each having their own library with appropriate permissions!

Have a look at “communication sites” vs “Team sites” in SharePoint!!

You could also utilize Microsoft Teams for each department or function etc in the org, where they all have their own files and then the project files in the project Teams!
There are many different options and to find the best suitable option you need to dig into pains/gains, type of files, way of working etcetera :)

@Aleksander470 I blogged about that a month ago in the post "Do you need a plan for how you can (and should) migrate files to Office 365?".

In this blog post I refer to a very good post "A framework for file migrations to Microsoft 365" which Robert Crane is the author of.

There is no obvious answer to your question, but I hope the content of these two posts can help you along the way.

Regards, Magnus