SOLVED

Teams, guests "Turn teams on or off for all users of this type" Greyed out

Iron Contributor

I try to enable guests for my O365 (E3) teams but I do not get it working.

In O365 admin > Services & add-ins > teams  I try to enable "Turn teams on or off for all users of this type" under "Guest" but this one is greyed out.

What can be the issue over here?

Thanks, Mike

5 Replies
Well known issue...Microsoft is migrating this and other settings to the new Teams and Skype For Business Center...try to see if you can configure Guest access from there

I did but still not able to add guests unfortunately...

best response confirmed by Mike Jansen (Iron Contributor)
Solution

If this setting is grayed out for you, then you must use Skype for Business Online PowerShell Module (or just regular PowerShell on Windows 10 and newer):

Import-Module LyncOnlineConnector
$userCredential = Get-Credential
$sfbSession = New-CsOnlineSession -Credential
$userCredential Import-PSSession $sfbSession

Login with your global admin

Get-CsTeamsClientConfiguration

This should show the state of your guests option in AllowGuestUser field. Probablu False.

You can try enabling it with:

Set-CsTeamsClientConfiguration -AllowGuestUser $True -Identity Global

In our case it shows False, but guests users still work, maybe because i have enabled it long before this option has been grayed out.

Btw, this setting will only allow your users to add existing guests users to teams (and only to newly created teams, old teams still won't be able to add guests). If you want your users to be able to invite completely new guests users, you also have to enable:

Office 365 Admin Center > Settings > Security & privacy > Let users add new guests to the organization

Also, after you change any setting make sure to wait at least a few hours or even 24 hours to check if it worked. In MS cloud it can take a while until the setting is actually taking effect.

Thanks, there was no such option when it first grayed out a few months ago. Now they have finally moved the option, so i guess no need for PowerShell command now.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Mike Jansen (Iron Contributor)
Solution

If this setting is grayed out for you, then you must use Skype for Business Online PowerShell Module (or just regular PowerShell on Windows 10 and newer):

Import-Module LyncOnlineConnector
$userCredential = Get-Credential
$sfbSession = New-CsOnlineSession -Credential
$userCredential Import-PSSession $sfbSession

Login with your global admin

Get-CsTeamsClientConfiguration

This should show the state of your guests option in AllowGuestUser field. Probablu False.

You can try enabling it with:

Set-CsTeamsClientConfiguration -AllowGuestUser $True -Identity Global

In our case it shows False, but guests users still work, maybe because i have enabled it long before this option has been grayed out.

Btw, this setting will only allow your users to add existing guests users to teams (and only to newly created teams, old teams still won't be able to add guests). If you want your users to be able to invite completely new guests users, you also have to enable:

Office 365 Admin Center > Settings > Security & privacy > Let users add new guests to the organization

Also, after you change any setting make sure to wait at least a few hours or even 24 hours to check if it worked. In MS cloud it can take a while until the setting is actually taking effect.

View solution in original post