SOLVED

Targeted release not deploying on one PC...

Copper Contributor

I want the new Office icons! :)

* O365 set to "Targeted release for everyone"

* deployed 1904 to three other PC's fine

But MY (main) PC, hasn't picked this up.  And it hasn't for quite some time (ie. been on the Standard Release for some 6+ months now)

(Currently reports as: 1903)

And I don't know how to fix it!

I've tried ...

* completely removed Office from this PC, and re-installed.

* searched this forum and tried the ODT tool - (it doesn't run! - just briefly flashes a wee screen upon trying to run setup.exe).  I don't think it's a proper fix anyway, eh?

Can anyone help with this?

I suspect I have a registry setting, somewhere, that needs removing or adjusting???

Cheers,  Duncan.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Duncan_McC_NZ120 Hi Duncan, without knowing your ent. configuration the best bet is to try the REG value- if you aren't deploying using Group Policy this should work.  You can set or update the following REG Key

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\office\16.0\common\officeupdate
Value name: updatebranch
Value type: REG_SZ

Here are the strings to choose from:

• InsiderFast
  • FirstReleaseCurrent 
  • Current
  • FirstReleaseDeferred 
  • Deferred

Next open an Office application and go to File-> Office Account-> Update Options-> Update Now, it should update (or downgrade) your Office installation to the latest version of that release channel.  Try that and let me know- I had have luck with it before!

@Ethan Stern 

Cheers bud, applied, rebooted, didn't bother to wait (I'm sure it would auto-udpate???) - but did a manual check and it's updated!

PS: not on a domain network here at my wee office.  And just your standard O365 Biz Premium subscription.

Bit worried that it's a quick n' dirty fix that may not stand the test of time (re the '16.0') - it's hard to tell what version of course (re: Office 2016 or 2019)  given in O365 it just says, well, just that... "Office 365"...

2019-04-19 (2).png

But I'm happy for now - desktop (well taskbar! - I'm not a desktop shortcut/icon fan!) icons looking nice :)  ...206BBD~1.jpg

@Duncan_McC_NZ120 ah, Biz Prem!  Nice!  I am sure it would auto-update too but it takes too long for me LOL.  I am glad it worked out!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Duncan_McC_NZ120 Hi Duncan, without knowing your ent. configuration the best bet is to try the REG value- if you aren't deploying using Group Policy this should work.  You can set or update the following REG Key

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\office\16.0\common\officeupdate
Value name: updatebranch
Value type: REG_SZ

Here are the strings to choose from:

• InsiderFast
  • FirstReleaseCurrent 
  • Current
  • FirstReleaseDeferred 
  • Deferred

Next open an Office application and go to File-> Office Account-> Update Options-> Update Now, it should update (or downgrade) your Office installation to the latest version of that release channel.  Try that and let me know- I had have luck with it before!

View solution in original post