SOLVED

Tap for Word and Outlook - where is it?

Steel Contributor
We are using office current channel 1612 (building 7668.2066). If i go to customise ribbon, i can see under the Insert Tab the Tap/Insert Document Item button, however front end it does not show. Has this functionality been released yet. or do i need new glasses!
21 Replies

Tanya, we are on build 2064 so far. Don't remember when Tap appeared in the Ribbon - it's here and it works if you have any documents in the cloud.

Tap.JPG

Thank you Sergei... we have plenty of documents in the cloud, but still i don't see the icon. Maybe one day it will appear. Thanks for replying.

IMHO, sometimes new items are missed in the Ribbon if you are not on US SKU. But that's only my guess.

You may try to find this item in Options->Customize the Ribbon, see the item correct name on the picture

TapRibbon.JPG

I think your US comment might be the issue.... i see the attached (and the Test ribbon group i created does not work). I will just have to wait..

Maybe. Another point it works only on E3 and E5 as i remember.

On E3..... i will wait until next update and then submit support ticket.

Are you on first release? i know there was a issue a few weeks back and it had to do with updates as well

Yes we are on first release... i have tried searching around for anything relating to it... but nothing.  thanks for the reply.

I just checked i am on a lower version :( so can not check for you

'Tap' was introduced on Current channel at the beginning of December https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/mt465751.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

TapCurrentChannel.JPG

I believe it shall be in current 1612 builds.

best response confirmed by Tanya Denton (Steel Contributor)
Solution

The only one point - not for all, see support.office.com/en-gb/article/Find-and-use-the-content-you-need-when-you-need-without-leaving-Word-860118fc-1f61-41f6-922f-40084a284658?ui=en-US&rs=en-GB&ad=GB

Also note that the Tap feature is not yet available for Office 365 subscriptions generated in Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Germany, Great Britain, India, and Japan; regardless of the country you’re working in. We are working on expanding Tap’s availability to these locations in the near term.

I've had the same experience with de-de locale on current channel. Supposedly released features from CC are just not there, or sometimes even disappear even though they were there before.

My assumption some months ago was also the language, though I wasn't able to get a confirmation, O365 Support from Microsoft didn't have a clue either. 

Since then I haven't had the time to further investigate. 

One of the reasons why i always prefer to install packages with USA SKU, after that add languages/regional settings i need, and usually uninstall/disable USA ones.

This isn't available in Australia yet. We are on build 7967 - 2139. I can add the "Insert Document Item" command to the ribbon, but it is disabled.

Has anyone heard anything about the rollout plan for this?

Still no sign of this in Australia. The feature was mentioned in a recent Sway at https://sway.com/PdTMYWv3jDqntB0G?ref=Link&loc=play. Anyone heard anything about rollout to more regions?
On Build 8730.2165 and no Tap. Why i am hung up on this i have no idea.... Maybe i need to get a life!

One year + later and still not in Canada. Is there any update on the feature availability? 

Nearly 2 years later, still not in the UK. Why is it taking so long to release to the UK (and other countries)?

Agreed - please could we have confirmation it is coming to the UK, and also to PowerPoint?

It would be a massive help for our team retrieving standard slides/answers in documents - I'd just like to know if it is going to be available or not.

thanks

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Tanya Denton (Steel Contributor)
Solution

The only one point - not for all, see support.office.com/en-gb/article/Find-and-use-the-content-you-need-when-you-need-without-leaving-Word-860118fc-1f61-41f6-922f-40084a284658?ui=en-US&rs=en-GB&ad=GB

Also note that the Tap feature is not yet available for Office 365 subscriptions generated in Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Germany, Great Britain, India, and Japan; regardless of the country you’re working in. We are working on expanding Tap’s availability to these locations in the near term.

View solution in original post