SOLVED

Step by step migrating to office365 from exchange - with AD integration?

Iron Contributor

Hello,

We currently have about 200 people using exchange 2013.    We have Windows Server 2016 AD.   Most people are on office 2016.  Some are on office 2013 and 2010.

We'd like to have our AD sync with the cloud so they only have to know one password for their PCs and email.

I've migrated between exchange servers but never from exchange to office 365 and never done the AD integration.     Any guides that walk you through the process as much spoon feeding would be great.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Boe Dillard (Iron Contributor)
Solution

There are literally hundreds of guides available online, the migration process has barely changed in the past few years so it's a well-known and well-described process. I would suggest you start by reviewing the Exchange Deployment Assistant here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/exchange-deployment-assistant

The Hybrid migration method is the best option both in terms of admin/management and the end-user experience, so you should focus on it. Using the new wizard, it's a simple next next next task, but it's still a good idea to familiarize yourself with the guide above. Installing/configuring AAD Connect with password sync is part of the process, so you will go over it regardless.

Thanks! I'm having trouble (it might be smacking me in the face) but I'm migrating mailboxes without issue, I've got ad sync working. I can't figure out how to migrate groups or resources from Exchange on prem to the office 365 system.

@Boe Dillard  You don't migrate Groups but sync them to Office 365 unless you plan to decommission your On-Premise Exchange. Recommended practice is to keep the Hybrid Going for as long as you can.

1. Microsoft gives you free Hybrid Exchange Server License if you have business or higher plan on Office 365.

2. You still have management access with your On-Premise Identities and exchange resources+groups with your synced environment.

3. Have seamless sign-on enabled or Password less environment (Launched recently) - so your users don't even need to Enter there password anywhere once logged in to your domain joined machines.

Hope it answers all your questions/queries.

Cheers !!

Ankit Shukla

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Boe Dillard (Iron Contributor)
Solution

There are literally hundreds of guides available online, the migration process has barely changed in the past few years so it's a well-known and well-described process. I would suggest you start by reviewing the Exchange Deployment Assistant here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/exchange-deployment-assistant

The Hybrid migration method is the best option both in terms of admin/management and the end-user experience, so you should focus on it. Using the new wizard, it's a simple next next next task, but it's still a good idea to familiarize yourself with the guide above. Installing/configuring AAD Connect with password sync is part of the process, so you will go over it regardless.

View solution in original post