SOLVED

[Solution] Parallel // Provider Exchange & Office 365 // Autodiscovery issue

Copper Contributor

EDIT2: My apologies.. I took this in my feverish search for a solution as an offical support forum. I'm sorry. Thanks for reading and contribution as well.

EDIT --> THE SOLUTION!!!.  // NEXT THING TO COME --> THE PROPER SPF RECORD ;)*

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\AutoDiscover]

"EnableOffice365ConfigService"=dword:00000001
"ExcludeLastKnownGoodURL"=dword:00000001
"ExcludeHttpRedirect"=dword:00000001
"ExcludeHttpsRootDomain"=dword:00000001
"ExcludeHttpsAutoDiscoverDomain"=dword:00000001

AND you must be logged in with the Office 365 Tenant in your Office Suite

not sure what exactly the proper key for surpressing this wrong autodiscvoery behaviour is... 16.0 in path of registry for Outlook 2016 - funny is when I delete the keys.. and even reconfigure mailbox no autodiscovery popups are comming. Condition is that I'm logged in with the Microsoft O365 tennant which is connected to the Mailbox

The <domain> (DNS-record) is already in use for a Provider based Exchange solution. We have a subsidiary that wants to work almost independently

goal: have a edit: "parallel scenario" John over O365 direct / provider exchange still using its autodiscovery service

2018-09-12-20-16-42_0001 2.jpg

(provider exchange and Office 365 Exchange) - DNS record could only be adjusted in that way that it doesn't interfere with full functionality of the Provider Exchange solution our Headquarter is using.

The problem:

autodiscover.<domain>.<tld> of the Provider based Exchange solution kicks in.

workaround 1 - edit IP in hosts for autodiscover.<domain>.<tld>:

edit hosts vor autodiscover.<domain>.<tld> so that Outlook get the right Konfiguration. As you see above the DNS of the <domain> should not interfere with full functionality for our HQ.

result of ping autodiscover.<domain>.<tld> showed the adjusted IP (autodiscover.outlook.com) but it didn't worked out.

nslookup autodiscover.<domain>.<tld> showed Provider Exchange solution - so it thought this old workaround did not work here..

workaround 2 - adjust autodiscover values:

Maybe this could be some part of the solution?

adjust autodiscover behavior in registry. adjust values under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\O...

• SCP lookup
  • HTTPS root domain query
  • HTTPS Autodiscover domain query
  • Local XML file
  • HTTP redirect method
  • SRV record query
  • Cached URL in the Outlook profile (new for Outlook 2010 version 14.0.7140.5001 and later versions)
  • Direct Connect to Office 365 (new for Outlook 2016 version 16.0.6741.2017 and later versions)

workaround 3: seemed promising

after I logged out with the Office 365 Account in Office which has the Mailbox connected and logged in again I somehow managed to get the login screen. Just seems like Outlook then connects somehow directly to Office 365.

but still some popups for credentials, and some autodiscovery popup from the provider exchange solution.

iOS Devices seems to use the or a direct method... there is no interference with the autodiscovery.<domain>.<tld>

Please help me find a stable and Poupfree solution.

Greetings,

Benjamin

13 Replies

From what I understood, your goal is not to have Exchange-Exchange Online hybrid configuration as it is usually understood. If you would build a real hybrid, you wouldn't need to worry about autodiscover at all.

Anyways, in your workaround 1, where did you change DNS record? Internal or external DNS? If they run on different servers, please double check that you have changed both records. It is also advisable to clear all DNS caches you might have (local computer, DNS server, etc.).

If you like to test whether the "workaround 1" works, you can also edit C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts -file to add autodiscover record:

40.101.65.200 autodiscover.<domain>.<tld>

I got it working before I wrote my post (Headquarter still have the provider Exchange and we have the Office 365 Exchange)  But still getting popups to enter credentials when Outlook Autodiscover (autodiscover.<domain>.<tld>) kicks in. Why does it kick in? Why does it do the stuff to me?

I knew before how to get Office 365 configured directly know even if autodiscover.<domain>.<tld> is pointing to a provider Autodiscover-Server - Workaround as above. DNS record should be untouched in that way that nothing is interfering with Headquarter Exchange. Maybe adjusting SPF properly.

It still seems to be a DNS issue. Your clients (Outlook) seems to be getting the wrong autodiscover record and therefore are prompted for credentials.

Have you tried Remote Connectivity Analyzer tools to check records, or SARA on your client PCs?

Thanks for your reply and your time you spend on my issue. 

As I said, it is working - John can send and receive mails with iOS devices because the use of the direct connection to O365!

But still getting popups from Outlook because Outlook ist still looking for the wrong Autodiscovery-Server beside it had it configured with direct connection.

And this direct connection is wanted because our Headquarter should be able to work independently.

And yes I tried everything. Including SARA. ;)

Anybody there who can tell me how to deactivate this continously accessing of Outlook to the wrong Autodiscovery-Server or have an different solution without interfering with the "parallel" Szenario?

As I said Outlook of John is working fine and it was directly configured by a different method Outlook is using >> direct connection >> beside.. I just have to click away the Popups. 

2018-09-12-20-16-42_0001.jpg

So if I understand correctly, you are using the same domain? The easiest solution is to probably switch to a new domain/namespace and you should be even able to use a subdomain.

Even using the same domain should works, as long as you can update the targetaddress attribute of any of the affected users to point to user@tenant.onmicrosoft.com, so that all Autodiscover requests hitting the hosted Exchange server are being redirected to O365. Problem is, this might not be possible in a hosted configuration, or will require you to work with the hoster support to configure it.

Another workaround is to simply configure the accounts via their user@tenant.onmicrosoft.com account in Outlook. This way autodiscover should work correctly, and even if you see a credentials prompt it should be one-time only. Haven't played with this for a while though, so I'm not sure how it works with Modern auth in play...

In case I'm not understanding the whole picture, a copy of the ExRCA/Test E-mail autoconfiguration wizards should clear up any confusion, so make sure to obtain them and attach them to the thread.

Other than that, I can think of few more factors that play a role with Outlook 2016 as detailed here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3211279/outlook-2016-implementation-of-autodiscover

In your case I would check for/exclude the local and last know configuration, and maybe even force the "O365 as priority".

@Vasil Michev wrote:

Another workaround is to simply configure the accounts via their user@tenant.onmicrosoft.com account in Outlook. This way autodiscover should work correctly, and even if you see a credentials prompt it should be one-time only. Haven't played with this for a while though, so I'm not sure how it works with Modern auth in play...

>> answer: Yes I did already this because I got it working using the user@tenant.onmicrosoft.com :) but still Popups.

PS: But thanks for your fast reply

@Vasil Michev wrote:

Other than that, I can think of few more factors that play a role with Outlook 2016 as detailed here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3211279/outlook-2016-implementation-of-autodiscover

In your case I would check for/exclude the local and last know configuration, and maybe even force the "O365 as priority".

Yes, I played already with the registry settings. An I read everything on the issue in several forums. Is there a way to escalate my request somehow?

Yeah, this behaviour in the following link I want - as here described it shows how to deactivate this behaviour! And it is still working and I don't wan't to deactivate this feature! I don't want to have the popups autodiscovery kicks in. Like an inverted solution to this solution in the link.

Outlook bypasses AutoDiscover and connects directly to Office 365 mailbox

very helpful too goot collection of helpful links but I don't got it working. Sad, so sad.

Good description of the behaviour

As us see I did a lot of reading 3 day ago but it didn't worked out. Maybe I did a wrong registry setup??

Screenshot 2018-09-13 08.59.50.png

I don't want to be rude or something like that.. I already spent 15 hours on this issue.. still no solution. And got only things told that I already did and wrote in my post.
I have a business running and I need professional <timesaving> support. Is this an official Microsoft Support Forum. Or have I the wrong expectations?

best response confirmed by Benjamin Riedel (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Found it after 18 hours ;) This was a very helpful link:

VERY HELPFUL LINK

EDIT --> THE SOLUTION!!! / it only works when login with the tenant.. user@xyz.onmicrosoft.com or when you changed primary email to user@<domain>.<tld.> it is till working. -------> AND!!! Made some registry tweaks see below

not sure what exactly the proper key is... 16.0 stands for Outlook 2016 - funny is when I delete the keys.. and even reconfigure mailbox no autodiscovery popups are comming. Condition is that I'm logged in with the Microsoft O365 tennant which is connected to the Mailbox.

@Benjamin Riedel, this is NOT a support forum/channel. We are just fellow IT Pros discussing different topic and occasionally helping each other. If you want to address specific issue to official Office 365 support, open a ticket from the portal or call them directly.

Glad the issue was solved :)

My apologies.. I took this in my feverish search for a solution as an offical support forum. I'm sorry. Thanks for reading and contribution as well.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Benjamin Riedel (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Found it after 18 hours ;) This was a very helpful link:

VERY HELPFUL LINK

EDIT --> THE SOLUTION!!! / it only works when login with the tenant.. user@xyz.onmicrosoft.com or when you changed primary email to user@<domain>.<tld.> it is till working. -------> AND!!! Made some registry tweaks see below

not sure what exactly the proper key is... 16.0 stands for Outlook 2016 - funny is when I delete the keys.. and even reconfigure mailbox no autodiscovery popups are comming. Condition is that I'm logged in with the Microsoft O365 tennant which is connected to the Mailbox.

View solution in original post