SOLVED

SMS texting via Exchange 365 distribution group not received by all recipients.

Copper Contributor

I have been fighting this issue for several months and it has come to a head.

I have a distribution group with 14 contact entries.   Each entry is an SMS text number.  IE 1234567890@carrier.com Not that it matters, but each of the contacts display names begin with "Text-" then their first name. "IE Text-Fred, Text-Sue, etc."

See attached. I've scratched the names and number out for privacy reasons. 

1.  If I email each contact entry in the list individually, one at a time (IE One email message per text number in the "to" field) , the text is received by that individual on their phone.

2.  If I put all of the contact entries of the group in the "To:" field as individuals, (IE 14 different "text-name" entries in the "to" field of ONE email), all users receive the message on their phones.

3. If I email the distribution group. IE Just put the name of the distribution group in the "to" field, ATT & Sprint users do not receive the message on their phones. the others do.

At first I thought perhaps ATT and SPRINT had some sort of block of multiple texts in place, and in this case it's only ONE sprint number.  But after successfully sending the texts via step #2 above, it appears to me the Exchange is having difficulty parsing and processing the distribution group properly.  How can I troubleshoot this further, solve it, or otherwise get around it.  It DOES seem like there is no reason it shouldn't work.  AM I the only one with this issue?  I have tried this on two different outlook clients. 2010 and 2013 AND OWA with the same results.

Is there any way to see where the system is breaking down?

Where do I go from here?  

Thank you.   

2 Replies

I'm having the same issue with one user with an ATT phone the users with Verizon phones are receiving all the test messages.

best response confirmed by Paul Wolf (Copper Contributor)
Solution
UPDATE:
I apologize for not getting back sooner. After trying MANY things, on a whim, I decided to try and make a NEW distribution group with the same members.

I am pleased to report that after about 5 days this appears to be the solution. Will it REMAIN the solution permanently,? Who knows. For now it appears to be working as it should.

I hope this helps,.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Paul Wolf (Copper Contributor)
Solution
UPDATE:
I apologize for not getting back sooner. After trying MANY things, on a whim, I decided to try and make a NEW distribution group with the same members.

I am pleased to report that after about 5 days this appears to be the solution. Will it REMAIN the solution permanently,? Who knows. For now it appears to be working as it should.

I hope this helps,.

View solution in original post