Skype for Business Exchange Integration problem after ADFS removal

Copper Contributor

A few days ago, I moved from a federated (ADFS 2.0) to managed domain in my hybrid Office 365 environment to take advantage of Password Sync via AAD Connect and ultimately Seamless SSO.

After the change, the office.com web portal, Outlook desktop, Skype for Business desktop and various other apps all successfully allow log in, so I thought I was in the clear.

!!! The only thing that does not work is Skype for Business' Outlook Integration (i.e., the ability for it to see your contacts listing).

S4B logs in and shows an error "Skype for Business can't connect to Exchange." No contacts show. But it appears I can communicate with people just fine, so it's just the info it gets from Exchange.

An additional Outlook Integration error in S4B shows "The Exchange server won't let us connect. We're working on fixing the connection until it's fully restored. Your Outlook calendar and contact info might not be available until you're connected."

We connect to Skype for Business Online, no Skype server on-premises. Same for Exchange. Modern Authentication is turned on for Outlook and Skype as we use MFA.

Skype for Business shows no Internal or External EWS server under connection Configuration Info, so this makes me think it's something like autodiscover not finding the EWS server, but autodiscover seems to check out ok.

Also just noticed, this hasn't been working on my PC, but works fine on my Mac. Some users are not experiencing the problem however this may be due to their S4B hasn't logged off and had to log in again following the ADFS removal. 

Some other things I have tried with no success...
- signed out of S4B and deleted sign in info.
- cleared creds from Windows Credential Manager
- tried on a completely new computer, windows profile
- cleared S4B cache folder
- confirmed sip and smtp names for user match
- checked all autodiscover settings and required office 365 dns settings

At a loss here. Any insight would be appreciated.

3 Replies
Dear David,

May be, Try looking into S4B client logs in Snooper and see if you can find any thing which can point you to right direction.

Apart from that, you also capture the traffic on Fidller and wireshark ....

Thank You,
Rahul

So far, turning off Seamless SSO has solved this problem temporarily. I need to turn it back on later today and test some new ideas to see if I can get it working with sSSO on.

Thank you for the input. I have tried Wireshark and did notice normal activity. I'll try some of your other suggestions. Currently, with Seamless SSO now turned off, it seems to be working as it should. I'll follow up with more info when I have it.