Sharing a Onedrive For Business Folder then Sync with Onedrive Personal sync client

Copper Contributor

Hi there, We have a user who has Shared a particular Folder of his OneDrive For Business with several people, those within the business sync it to their PC and are fine.

He has shared it with External parties though, and those people use Onedrive Personal(Free) and want to sync that directory to their desktop using the client sync client.

I have scoured the internets high and low, and all I can find is feature requests of Microsoft to enable this. Has anyone found a work around.

2 Replies
  1. The NGSC sync client for ODB and ODC is the same (provided you are not still using the old Groove for ODB...). See https://support.office.com/en-us/article/sync-files-with-the-onedrive-sync-client-in-windows-615391c...
  2. Currently, you can sync files or folders shared with you only from users in your tenant.

@Salvatore Biscari So now, two years after your original reply, is it still the same? It doesn't make much sense, and since Microsoft calls both "OneDrive", one assumes, that they are compatible. I made the switch from personal Office to Business standard believing that I'll be able to continue my practice of sharing folders with my customers that can be synced to their computers, and now it seems I was misled by obscure marketing and naming practices.