SharePoint Online list view threshold question

MVP

Hi
currently I faced a problem that one of document library with a lot of content(20,000+) exceed the view threshold and as a result I can not export the list as a template(even not check the include data option), it will give me the error message refer the list exceeds the list view Threshold.
Now I need to know:
1. whether I can set the Threshold to a greater value by myself like on premise does.
2. How can I export the document library as a template.
Please help.

1.PNG2.PNG

8 Replies

i know we asked with a service request to increase the threshold but it also brings risks with it that it is slowing down etc.

Kr,

Paul

As I replied in the "old" Office 365 network my advice could be: (1) Use a third party tool such as Sharegate or similar ones to do the job for you. (2) Use Open source tools such as PnP Provisioning Engine to export your document library structure and them write some code to copy the documents from the old location to the new one

Justin Liu : 

For current document library, use any third part tool like sharegate,metalogix to move the old docs to new library.

Or use "Open with explore" to copy the document from old library to new library.

Split the list/documents based on the data growth going forward by Monthly/Quaterly basis.

FYI. Onedrive to SharePoint Team site we have a option to copy the data. Soon we will get the updates from Team site to Team site. So that it will easy to move the data within the Teamsite going forward. 

What about a scenario where 100,000 documents are already migrated vis 3rd party tool, now we are not able to perform operations like "Break unique permission" at Document Library level.

We get "The attempted operation is prohibited because it exceeds the list view threshold enforced by the administrator"

In such situation, I would recommend considering restructuring of a document library to multiple smaller and manageable libraries.

If throttling messages are faced that's usually a signal that something wrong in the way SharePoint is used or a solution is developed, etc.

@Andrew Koltyakov do you have any suggestions where your sharepoint is linked to Dynamics, as I believe the files have to exist in a single List?

@Justin Liu , I know this post is older - however I came across it when the same thing happened to me.
I realized there is a new feature in SPO - when you select New > List - you can choose 'from an existing List' This let you pick lists from this current site - or even other SPO sites you have access to! 

spofromanexistinglist.png

Worked for copying a list that has over 19,000 items - does not copy the items - just the columns, view and formatting.