SOLVED

SharePoint Online - IE 11 - message 'Internet Explorer has stopped working'

Brass Contributor

Since about a week or so (say 07/04/2017), my Internet Explorer has stopped working for accessing SharePoint site in SharePoint Online. It tries to open the SharePoint Site for about 10 sec and then comes back with message 'Internet Explorer has stopped working' and then it closes all tabs in IE whichever tab trying to access SharePoint online.

I tried following so far:

Resetting IE (and restarting the computer)

Tried all combination of IE (32, 64, Admin mode etc)

Ensuring Trusted Site has https://*.sharepoint.com

Reparing Office etc (though it should not be related to current error)

My Windows is on Automated Updates

I am on "Current Channel" for Office-365 Updates and "Production ring" for OneDrive Updates

It does seem to work when we run IE "without add-ons" but then why should it not work with Microsoft's own add-ons. That's obviously not the solution, even if one by one I try single out the add-on causing the problem.

IE-11 Error.png

22 Replies

Well if it works OK without add-ins, you know where the problem is. I can tell you that it works just fine here with IE11. Find the offending add-in and disable it.

Works here as well with IE, Edge, all the other browsers I have installed :p 

best response confirmed by Adam Fowler (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Thank-you so much. Your ":P" solved the whole thing.

Disabling the following add-ons (all three were active) solved the problem for the time being.

Manage Add-ons (Accelerators).png

How interesting. I've also been getting a similar issue for the past few days when using Sharepoint Online via our 365 tenant too. It's been exceptionally unstable, and complaining about a malicious add-on, yet all of the add-ons in my browser are disabled.
I've also noticed that trying to save a document to a site that I only have read-only access to (I wasn't aware) didn't throw up any error messages, it just caused the Microsoft Office Uploader to hang and my Office 2016 application to crash. (Version 1706 (Build 8229.2086 Click to Run) Current Channel).

Hi Mark,

Thanks for contributing.

Just wondering if you also tried running IE with extensions off. Start -> Run -> iexplore.exe -extoff

And IE is crashing again with the same error, the earlier disbaled extensions are still disabled and there are abosuletely no changes to machine/software since the last time it worked (about 5 hours back). Tried disabling/enabling the following multiple times. Some instances it worked and others it didn't. Sorry, this post is becoming more like my personal notes than any conclusive solutions.

Manage Add-ons (Lync).png

Please proceed as follows

Office build downgrade

1. Open an elevated Command Prompt window. To do this, click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator

2. Cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun
   officec2rclient /update user updatetoversion=16.0.8201.2102

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2770432/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2013-...

Please check the link, doesn't work for me. Going back to older version could cause more troubles.

Just for the notes, It's working fine after the last round of ding-dong with the add-ons. Yesterday I needed to attend a WebEx meeting which resulted in enabling the below add-on and IE started crashing again. Disabling it made the IE work again and able to access the SharePoint Online sites.

Note: My system is 64-bit OS (Windows 7 Ultimate), these add-ons are 32-bit. I think that should be fine. There was no option to select between the two when installing these add-ons.

Manage Add-ons (WebEx).png

After updating the office products yesterday (as Word, Excel etc were giving a message of updates available), the IE started crashing again this morning when trying to access the SharePoint Online sites. Disabling the following add-ons did not solve the problem. This was the only add-on enabled on my computer. Quick Repair of office did not help either. I am switching to Chrome and with the hope that some miracle update from Microsoft fixes it on it's own.

SharePoint Error - Add-ons.png

The issue has been back for past week or so. Tried following workaround:

1. If I go a SharePoint Site link via a URL I shared in email to a colleague (instead of opening a site using the SharePoint "tiles" in O-365) then the SharePoint site opens fine and allows to go to the main site I was trying to go to via the "tiles".

2. Tried checking for offedning DLL, by going to 'Computer Management' (see screen below). It did not help as it shows the name as 'unknown'.

Computer Mgmt.png

3. Tried 'resetting' the IE (Tools -> Advanced -> Reset -> Delete Personal Settings) and restarted the computer. The first time I tried accessing SharePoint after that it gave the same message of 'Internet Explorere has stopped working'. But on second tries onwards it's working fine. Fingers crossed :).

This is a shot in the dark, but I've had success with the repair function before, so you may want to try Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Features > select Microsoft Office 365 > click Change > Online repair. After it's done in 20-60 minutes, restart your machine and cross your fingers!

I had tried the 'quick repair' without success. I had done 'Online Repair' two week before this issue surfaced.

As a workaround, I continue to acces SharePoint site via a "bookmarked" link (instead of selecting a site from a SharePoint "tile"). Accessing via "tile" continues to abend the IE.

Hi,

It happens for me as well, when ever i go into sharepoint it crashes with same error.

I have also tried all the options discussed above, but nothing helped.

I am having the same issue over here except it is only when SharePoint is the second homepage tab. No solutions, unfortunately, but it's good to know there are others out there.

Same issue here, with multiple tenants/customers. Disabling plugins, differente results. Workaround for now, use a direct link/favorite instead of the the tile "SharePoint" in portal.office.com 

What version of Office are you all running? There was a bug back in a 1706 build that caused IE to crash when browsing SharePoint sites. That should be solved back in August if you are on the Monthly Builds however.

We are having the same issue here, if IE was set to open to tabs of a SharePoint page, IE 11 would crash. 

we have having some others saying that if they try to review/approve a workflow task in IE 11 it will also crash. 

I'm also seeing this error on up to 3 of our users computers. My fix has been to switch them to Chrome. IF they decide to stay with IE I remove SharePoint as a bookmark or home page. I'm pretty frustrated too because the inspector tool is displaying an error in the console. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Adam Fowler (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Thank-you so much. Your ":P" solved the whole thing.

View solution in original post