Sharepoint online and Exchange online dependency

Bronze Contributor

Hi Folks,

I had a doubt on the dependency between migration of sharepoint and exchange online.

We have a scenario where on of the business units in an existing company is going to move to a o365 tenant of its own.

So in terms of migration itself, can the users be created on AAD with licenses assigned and move the sharepoint data first followed by exchange later or is the presence of the mailbox for the user on the new tenant mandatory before the sharepoint data is migrated?

Regards,

Ramana

5 Replies
My two cents here:
You can do the SharePoint migration first with any problems, but in order to keep metadata such as the user who created a document or the user who modified a document, you should at least have your users provisioned int he target tenant so when you do the migration you can make the required mappings

Thanks Juan,

Understood, we will have the users created and license assigned and perform the sharepoint migration first. In the source tenant, there are no Teams & groups but there is a plan to use them on new tenant.

Would it be possible to know what would be the impact of not having the exchange mailbox in the target tenant enabled during go-live? Would any of the functionalities be impacted?

Regards,

Ramana

Yes,
Some of them that come to my memory:
(1) Teams required Exchange Online enabled for users, so you will have to disable Teams until you are fully operational in the new tenant
(2) Notifications sent by SPO are not going to work since each user that is accessing to SPO does not have an e-mail assigned.

By the way, since you are not adding the domain of that Business Unit, I don't see a problem on enabling EXO for the users...of course, it depends on the strategy / approach you are going to follow to make a T2T migration

Thanks Juan,

Im not sure if I understood the business domain part correctly.

There will be a new domain (newdomain.sharepoint.xom) of course and the there will be a new email address for each of the users as well. So exchange mailboxes will be migrated to a new domain.

Regards,

Ramana

So you are not doing any kind of hybrid / adsync for the new tenant? if not then when you migrate your SharePoint content you'll have to use something like Sharegate etc. to map to new user accounts so you don't lose that meta data, but you will also have to as Juan said have your new mailbox setup via outlook or access via web to get the e-mails sent from SharePoint since the users it'll have mapped etc. will be the new e-mail in O365.

Not doing Hybrid will make it a little bit more complicated.