Sharepoint and Onedrive Access

Iron Contributor

I am testing Office 365 ProPlus (Office E3 licenses) prior to rolling it out

For the time being, we do not want users to be able to save to Onedrive / Sharepoint. Is it actually possible to block this? I have turned off all license for the test user in the admin portal except for Exchange, Office 365 ProPlus, Skype for Business and Teams. Sharepoint doesn't appear in the list of apps when the user logs into portal.office.com (Onedrive doesn't appear in the apps list either, but is accessible via the 'delve' page), and if they open the installed version of Word, Excel, etc and sign in to them it offers Onedrive and Sharepoint as the first and second options for saving location, and allows saving to there and opening files from there.

I wondered whether it was Teams, given that this uses both Sharepoint and Onedrive. However, turning off the license option for this in the admin portal doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks

4 Replies

It's not Teams per se, simply put some O365 workloads do not enforce licensing requirements in code and even unlicensed people can use them. If you want to block access, you can look into the other controls we have, such as conditional access, IP-based restrictions, etc.

@Vasil Michev 

Thanks - so how do I completely block all access to Onedrive and Sharepoint Online?

I mentioned at least two methods above :)

@Vasil Michev 

So are you saying that without resorting to complicated things like that, it's impossible to block access to Sharepoint and Onedrive?

What I am asking is not complicated - I want to block all access in all circumstances. In any properly-designed product that would be pretty straightforward to do.

Thanks