Shared Email Issue

Copper Contributor

Hi All, very new to all this stuff but getting there.......

We have recently signed up to 365 for all of our office staff and have to say its going very well, i do have an issue which i cannot find the answer to?

We have shared email account and i need this account to see another shared email box but cannot see how I grant access to be able to see it.

I do not want it to be a connected account, it must be stand alone?

4 Replies

Hello John,

If i understand your request correctly, you need to have a sort of common account which can be either setup as standalone for which a license is needed, but in general practice if the mailbox will be added as an additional mailbox on to the primary email box, then you can consider using it as a shared mailbox which is free to use.

To grant permissions of mailboxes, you can do so with the GUI mode or powershell mode and the GUI is fairly simple and straight forward once you are at the Exchange Console.

A lot of information on how to configure the Shared Mailboxes for daily usage is described here

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-shared-mailbox-871a246d-3acd-4bba-948e-5de8be0544c...

A more technically detailed (Exchange 2016, more or less on Office 365 powershell) article for permissions is listed here : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj919240(v=exchg.160).aspx 

Hope the above helps you.

You cannot access a shared mailbox via another shared mailbox, if that's what you mean. Shared mailboxes cannot be logged directly into, and although technically you can grant another shared mailbox permissions, there is no way to utilize said permissions via any client.

Cheers Vasil, is this going to happen any time soon?

@Vasil Michev wrote:

You cannot access a shared mailbox via another shared mailbox, if that's what you mean. Shared mailboxes cannot be logged directly into, and although technically you can grant another shared mailbox permissions, there is no way to utilize said permissions via any client.

I highly doubt it will ever happen, that's simply not a use case for a shared mailbox.