Shared calendars and free/busy

Copper Contributor

Is it possible to view free/busy information in someone's shared calendar?  I've got a user that can view free/busy in the scheduling assistant but not when he opens the user's calendar.

8 Replies

Are you sure he's opening the correct calendar? If he has added it previously to Outlook, this might be a problem with the local cache, so try re-adding it. Or simply open it in OWA.

Hi Vasil,

Thanks for the response.  However, the issue also occurs in OWA.  I've read a few things here and there on the internet and it seems that you need at least Reviewer rights to view another persons calendar even if they have free/busy rights.   Can anyone verify?

No, that's not necessary. The default permissions on each user's Calendar in O365 are set to AvailabilityOnly, meaning everyone can see everyone else's availability. If you need to see more details, such as the subject, you can change that to LimitedDetails. Or grant explicit permissions, such as reviewer.

Okay, let's say User A has granted User B the ability to look at his free/busy information.  User B is able to see the free/busy information in the Scheduling Assistant but is unable to see the free/busy information if he directly opens User A's calendar.  Is this by design or is there a way around this?

Perhaps you should clarify what you mean by "User A has granted User B the ability to look at his free/busy information". As I mentioned above, the functionality to see free/busy is enabled for anyone in the organization from the get go in O365, so what exactly are you changing?

So, when I look at the properties of User A's calendar, the Permission Level for each user he has given access to is, "Free/Busy time".  User B is listed here and has "Free/Busy time" as his permission level to User A's calendar.  When user B uses the Scheduling Assistant in either OWA or Outlook, he is able to see User A's free/busy time.  However, if User B directly opens User A's calendar, he sees nothing.  No details, no free/busy time.  

What's the Default level set to? If its anything other than none, try removing the individual user's entry and see what happens.

Okay, I'll check.