sent items folder when sending on behalf of someone else

Copper Contributor

I've tried below for both a shared mailbox & full access to a licenced mailbox in outlook but I still get the same behaviour.
ie: user1 ALWAYS shows keeps sent item in its own mailbox.

I am user1 in office 365 using outlook 2016 client
I have full access to another account, user2
In outlook 2016 client I enable "show the from field"
from user1 account in the outlook client I send an email and change the from dropdownlist to user2
email gets sent HOWEVER, the email shows up in sent items folder of user1 and there is no copy of sent email in user2
I would prefer copy of email to ONLY exist in sent item of user2 ?

is this possible ?

There is a setting when sending on behalf of a SHARED mailbox to keep a copy in the sent items folder of shared mailbox which is fine but its sent items folder of user1 that I don't want emails.

I assuming sending on behalf of someone is the same as logging in as them and sending an email from their account but if that was the case then sent item would only exist in user2 account

Ray

3 Replies

What you're experiencing is the default behavior, where Sent Items are stored in the Sent Items folder of the delegated user's (User 1) mailbox. You can however change this behavior using the Set-Mailbox cmdlet (user mailbox behavior can only be controlled using powershell); the parameters to look out for are: MessageCopyForSentAsEnabled and MessageCopyForSendOnBehalfEnabled.

To ensure that the mails User 1 send as User 2 to be saved in the Sent Items folder of User 2, run:

Set-Mailbox 'User 2' -MessageCopyForSentAsEnabled: $True

Hiya and thx for the reply, for a shared mailbox there is an option (off by default) to copy sent items to Shared mailbox...I have this on and working however the fact that email remains in user1 sent items is the issue. We are using office 365 so I only have acess to web admin?
are you saying that it is possible to get sent items only appearing in user2 ?

The method you are referring to is client-bound and depends on the presence of the reg key. More importantly it's incompatible with the method @boneyfrancis mentioned above, which is now enabled by default. If you insist on using the client-side method, make sure to disable the -MessageCopyFor* parameters.