Search function in Outlook not working

Copper Contributor

Is there a fix for the Search function not working in Outlook for Office365? I've attached a file with what I'm assuming a lot of you have seen. We use cached mode here at work. I've tried switching to on-line mode and the search function works, but my boss doesn't want to move from cached mode to on-line mode because it makes searching take too long for our users. Once I put it back in cached mode the search function stopped working again. This is affecting all 3 of our sites around the country. We are all up to Office 365 version 1804 running Windows 10. Any help? We have tried the quick fix, online fix, all the recommended fixes from Office365 support. Updates for Windows 10 have not helped. moving from Semi-yearly to Monthly updates didn't help either.

8 Replies

Hello,

Same issue here.

@Paul Latulippe did you find a solution to this problem ?

Thank you

Ok solved. Used instructions here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/2c0d4f35-b84a-48a1-b080-a58ad17493ce/outlook-20...

basically, create a reg key to disable online search and prefer local index

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Search

Value name: DisableServerAssistedSearch

Value type: REG_DWORD

Value: 1

I also extended cached mode retention period (in account settings) to keep all data on device, so local index contains full mailbox.

Not one that I like. Microsoft said they fixed it. I applied the update they put out, but the issue is still happening. I'm much to busy to run around to all my users and perform registry edits. Thank you Microsoft. There is a lot to be said for testing. You should try it. Sorry, just venting.

This is not a fix. I'm much to busy to run around to all of my users and perform registry edits, and my manager is definitely not going store all of our email on our computers. That was the whole idea behind having a hosted email platform, Let the Host store the email on their servers so we have less to keep on our servers. I have a feeling we will be going back to hosting our own email on prem, or at our colo site. In the meantime, I still look for a permanent fix for this issue. Come on Microsoft. You can do it.

We're seeing issues with searching with some users too. It fails to find anything "search couldn't be completed" but if you choose search computer it works. The problem is only online searching but only effecting a few users.

Definitely seems like a problem on Microsoft's O365 end as none of the fixes work. Also, forcing it to search locally is not a fix.

Ignoring this Microsoft?

As we have been experiencing this issue for roughly 5 to 6 months, it doesn't seem to be high on Microsoft's priority list, (Although according to my users it should be #1 on the list.) And calling Office 365 Support doesn't yield any actual fixes, only work arounds. I think the support assistants are only there to buffer the complaints so Microsoft doesn't have to listen to them until they're ready to deal with any Office 365 issues. We have been seeing issues with Excel ever since we installed Office 365, and Office 365 support hasn't helped with that either. I still get daily complaints. I think our CIO is thinking of dumping Microsoft altogether and moving over to Linux. One of our divisions is already using open source, so it may happen.