Route external emails via nested distribution list

Copper Contributor

Good day, 

I have a use case which requires that emails sent from an e-fax provider (three separate e-fax numbers) get routed to the correct team distribution list. 

I've created three distribution lists which I've hidden from the GAL named:

Team 1 Fax

Team 2 Fax

Team 3 Fax

Within the Team Fax distribution lists I've set them to only accept messages from the address that the e-fax records will be sent from. 

I also already have team distribution lists for each team used for standard team communications: 

Team 1 DL

Team 2 DL

Team 3 DL

These distribution lists are configured to only accept mail from internal senders. 

Within the Team Fax distribution lists, I have added the Team distribution lists as members so: 

Name: Team 1 Fax 

Members: Team 1 DL

Name: Team 2 Fax

Members: Team 2 DL

Name: Team 3 Fax

Members: Team 3 DL

The issue that I am encountering is that when a message is received from the e-fax provider, the team fax distribution lists receives it just fine. However, when it in turn attempts to send to the Team distribution list a message trace shows that the send failed because those distribution lists are only able to receive emails from internal senders. 

I had assumed that because the e-fax message was being passed to the distribution list but the Team Fax distribution list the message would be considered at that point in time as being from an internal sender. 

Am I off base in terms of what I am trying to apply here and if so can anyone provide any guidance on how best to accomplish this? I do not want the team distribution lists to receive messages from external senders yet I need to be able to pass the e-fax messages to them by Team and do not want the teams to have separate inboxes as a group or shared mailbox would require. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! 

1 Reply

One solution would be to use a transport rule instead for limiting who can send to the "internal-only" DGs. Transport rules allows for exceptions, so you have more flexibility there.