Retention policy

Iron Contributor

Hi Experts

I have a shared mailbox on Exchange online, and archiving is enabled for it and i can see archive mailbox size is currently 20GB. When i look into Retention policy it shows Default MRM Policy and there is no retention tag to it.In this case is the user manually moving the mails to archive mailbox.

3 Replies
Retention policies can also be created in the Security and Compliance Center and they cannot be seen in EAC, but they apply to mailboxes and can move items to the archive.

is it Default 2 years move to archive even though it doesnot have a retention tag but i am not sure

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/security-and-compliance/messaging-records-management/defau...

The tag called "Default 2 years move to archive" applies to all the items that don't have any other tag applied, so yes, this tag can be the reason for items being moved to the archive.

If the user doesn't manually move anything to the archive, then the newest item in the archive might be 2 years old if it was moved because of the above-mentioned tag.