SOLVED

Retention policies and litigation hold

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out if I have this down 100%

If I have a 6 month policy to move email to an archive, and a 12 month policy to delete.  That would move items older than 6 months to an online archive if it exists, and delete email older than 12 months.

If I put the user on litigation hold, to the user, it would still look like email is moving based on the 6 month and 12 month timelines, but instead it would just be deleted from the user's view in Outlook, but it would still be available in the user's recoverable items folders. 

Can anyone confirm?

5 Replies
Hi Ibjames,

The 6 month policy to move email to an archive and a 12 month policy to delete sounds correct as per Microsoft Article

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/securitycompliance/set-up-an-archive-and-deletion-policy-...

Regarding litigation hold, as per the article below it preserves all mailbox content, including deleted items and original versions of modified items. When you place a mailbox on Litigation Hold, the user's archive mailbox (if it's enabled) is also placed on hold. Deleted and modified items are preserved for a specified period or until you remove the mailbox from Litigation Hold

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Exchange/policy-and-compliance/holds/litigation-holds?view=exchserv...

Hope that helps!

Best, Chris

Hi Chris,

I get how the litigation hold works, but my question really is what the user sees in regard to the retention policy and litigation hold.

If the item falls into a "delete" via retention policy, is it deleted from the user's view, and then kept in the recoverable items due to the litigation hold?

Or

Does it just stay in the user's mailbox in full view and no action is taken due to litigation hold?

best response confirmed by ibjames (Copper Contributor)
Solution
The retention policy will remove it but due to litigation hold it will be kept in the recoverable items folder
Correct, all items are kept in the recoverable items folder! Thanks Adam!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ibjames (Copper Contributor)
Solution
The retention policy will remove it but due to litigation hold it will be kept in the recoverable items folder

View solution in original post