SOLVED

restore group.. urgent!

Iron Contributor

Accidently deleted O365 group...

is there any way to restore?

urgent..

7 Replies
best response confirmed by 주현 김 (Iron Contributor)
Solution

I don't think there is. The roadmap shows that the feature is under development.

https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/286611-office-365-groups/suggestions/9349221-recover-restore-...

-Sonia

OMG..

Thanks anyway..

This is disaster.

I connected O365 group - which is VERY important - with Teams...

And tried to disconnect this, and suddenly all O365 group data were lost.

I would open a service request through the admin interface.

Even if there is no possibility on your side, they should have a way to recover. At least, what I know for sure: there are backups from Sharepoint sites every 12 hour, kept for 14 day (source), so your files are still should be available in one of the backups.

I've already done that and response was negative...

What are you missing the most, emails or files?

If files, I would try to submit the service request in the Sharepoint Online category, as recovering the deleted site collection, without mentioning that this did belong to an o365 group. According to the technet article I linked above, they do have backups from site collections.

If emails... well, I don't have a good answer for that, but probably would try the same in the Exchange Online category.

I have some experience in service requestes where I was bounced back from one support group while addressing it to another -formally in a different service request- was brought the solution finally.

Hi,

I have just spent most of the morning being shuffled between the SharePoint and Exchange teams to get a similar answer to yourself in regards to what Data Loss Protection we have with groups. I know that I can put a group on Discovery Hold and preserve all items within a group, but only if the group is still active. I then tried a preservation policy which wouldn't find the group mailbox, but did find the SharePoint site. However MS have informed me that this will not work with the old Site Collections associated with group as they are hidden. It will work when they switch to Modern Team sites, but again only whilst the group is still active. I know that Soft Deleted recovery of groups is coming (Like many Group features we may get it in this decade!) but this is delaying us from rolling out groups past our pilot phase. I cannot fathom how and wy MS decided to firstly give a Group Owner the ability to delete a group without an Administrator having the ability to recover the group. We dont allow users to delete Shared Mailboxes for example when they are granted "Owner" rights, so why do this with groups? I have been told that MS will be able to restore Groups if you give them the sharepoint url, but until I see that written in stone I will take it with a pinch of salt! I understand that they are trying to roll out as many features for groups (Which will transform the way that users collaborate btw), but please give us Admins the ability to make sure that our users are protected.

Correct soft delete is on our roadmap with a tentative release date by the end of the year: http://fasttrack.microsoft.com/roadmap?filters=#I-31837
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by 주현 김 (Iron Contributor)
Solution

I don't think there is. The roadmap shows that the feature is under development.

https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/286611-office-365-groups/suggestions/9349221-recover-restore-...

-Sonia

View solution in original post