Reply settings for Office 365 Groups

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have gone through the forum and google, but I have not found an answer to my question. I hope you don't mind sharing a post here. 

Background: User1 (Guest account/outside of the organization) and User2 (inside) are members of the Group1 (Office 365 Group). User3 is outside of the organization, it's NOT a guest user nor Group1 member. The Group1 is enabled with the subscription setting (e-mail sent from anyone to Group1@organization will end up in Group Conversation, User1 mailbox, User2 mailbox).
I would like to achieve the scenario where: User3 sends an email to Group1@organization. User1 (undefined e-mail client) hits "reply" and answers not only to User3, but rather to Group1@organization instead.
I have successfully used feature like that with G-Suite (https://help.lsit.ucsb.edu/hc/en-us/articles/115000974551-Change-Reply-Settings-to-Group-Messages).

How to configure something like that with Office 365 ?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Tomasz

10 Replies

There's a ReplyAll button in the Group's compose interface, and it should actually be the default action. Doesn't that work for you? Or am I missing something?

Hi Vasil,

Great thanks for the answer.
In the presented scenario:
Only one user uses Outlook and Office 365.
The other user is in the group but has no access to it. He gets only what is being forwaded to him.
Sender, so third user can actually be anyone.
Now, for example there is no “Reply all” button in Gmail app, and even if there was I would like not to tell all the potential users (in the real scenario) to use it.

The test I did before replying to this thread was with a Gmail account, and it works just fine. You do have a ReplyAll button in the web client, now if the app you are using is missing this basic functionality perhaps you should switch to using a different app. FWIW, the behavior will be the same for any other DG-type of recipient, this is nothing specific to O365 Groups.

Hi Vasil,

Thank you for the answer, the provided workaround may be one of the options. On the other hand, it does not address the actual issue I came here with:

Is it possible to set the O365 Group so each e-mail passing through it, has a property "Reply to" set to the group and not to the person who sent the e-mail ? How ?

[Goal: To achieve the functionality provided by G-Suite where e-mails send to Group1@Organization not only are sent to all subscribers e-mailboxes but also has the "Reply to" property set to Group1]

Thanks again and Best Regards,

Tomasz

That would require functionality similar to address rewriting, which is not available in O365.

In fact, you can do that Reply-To rewriting - but not in the group settings alone, you do have to use Exchange mail flow rule for that:

• Conditions: the recipient is [group e-mail]
  • Action: Set header value: set header Reply-To value to [group e-mail]
  • Rule mode: Enforce

@Lukasz032 This doesn't appear to work, I think. Exchange will kick the following message back to you:

You can't set header 'Reply-To' with value '<group e-mail address>'

I think an Edge Transport server is required to do that task. I am playing around with getting M365 groups to do this exact thing and haven't gotten it to work so far. 

@aseabrookI've been having the exact same problem. Did you ever manage to find a solution?

@BarryPT hi! Thanks for reminding me of this. 

I was unable to find a way to do this with exchange on its own. 

What I intended to try next, and have not yet had a time to fully explore, is leveraging one of the other platforms in O365 to mimic the Google groups functionally- creating a community either in Teams or Yammer. 

I'm pretty heavily into Teams and SharePoint administration and have only scratched the surface of Yammer, but I still feel like the functionality is there, it just needs to be strung together with a Flow or some other type of automation that allows people to email an entire community at once, and then have others reply to that email by default to the same address. 

Thank you for reminding me of it, I need to get back on this because I still have an email list that could use the benefit if I figure out how to make it work. 

@aseabrookthanks for the update. Here's my use case: I have a O365 group that I want to use for email communication with a group of about 340 users (a professional association) who are all outside of my organization. The list is a place to ask questions and share announcements.

I've been able to replicate most functions we've traditionally used on Listserv using Azure AD and Power Automate. The one thing where I'm stuck is lots of people in our network have auto reply messages to let their usual clients know how to get help for time sensitive matters. When you send a message using O365, you get a whole bunch of auto replies and it's a bit overwhelming. Listserv would have caught those. O365 will prevent any auto replies from going back to the list, but not to the original sender. I was hoping to change the outbound message so that the group address was the sender, then have O365 filter out the auto replies.

I've searched pretty thoroughly, and it seems like this is not possible using Exchange Online (we don't have on-premises services).

I have some ideas for how I might be able to use Power Automate to achieve the same result. Essentially users would send to an email alias, then Power Automate would redistribute the message to the members of the 0365 list. Wish me luck!