Remove domain from reseller control

Copper Contributor

Hello,

My current Microsoft 365 subscription is linked and managed by a Microsoft reseller. I'm not enjoying it's way to manage and support me, so i want to create a Microsoft 365 Business for my self, so I can manage it by my self.

Although when I try to create a Microsoft 365 with my domain, I receive an error message regarding that the domain is linked with another account, even though I have total control of the domain DNS.

The reseller refuses to delete my domain from his account. How can I proceed so I can manage my domain by my self? I have note for the administrator email.

3 Replies
Unless they remove the domain from the associated tenant, there’s not much you can do yourself. You could try and reach out to Microsoft Support to see if they can arrange this if you provide proof of ownership, but I’ve never really tried this. It’s probably best to see if you can convince the partner, in the end I assume you own the domain name so they could face issues if they do not hand it over.

@pvanberlo Is your domain in the reseller's tenant or separated from it and therefore in an independent tenant?

In case your domain is in a separate tenant and you have global admin rights you can remove the reseller's delegated admin rights yourself. 

But in other cases, I would suggest consulting with your lawyer. A simple cease-and-desist letter does wonder most of the time.

I dont have admin rights in the office 365 portal, although I have total control of the domain DNS Zone. I can't understand how I have total control of the domain but still have to proof some other way my ownership