Remove account from Outlook after user license is removed

Copper Contributor

As an admin, I am frequently setup with access to other user's accounts. Sometimes those accounts have their license removed while I am still setup as a delegate on that mailbox. When the license is removed the account no longer has a mailbox so I can't remove the delegate access in Office 365 but the account persists in Outlook long after the mailbox is gone. When I try to close or remove the mailbox in Outlook it fails saying it is tied to my account. Is there a way to remove this mailbox from my Outlook without granting the account another license or rebuilding my Outlook profile? Or is there a way to remove the delegate access from the account even though there's no mailbox?

5 Replies

Remove the delegate permissions before removing the license? You can also use the -ClearAutomapping switch to just remove automapped mailboxes: https://www.michev.info/Blog/Post/1382/removing-automapping-and-resetting-default-mailbox-permission...

Yer but I can't remember, sorry
Thanks it worked for me, you wasn't being snarky was you?

Hello all - I have removed a portion of this conversation which consisted of personal attacks which are prohibited as per our Code of Conduct. Please avoid personal attacks and keep conversations on-topic. Thank you.  

In the admin center, go to the Billing > Licenses page.

Select the product for which you want to unassign licenses.

Select the users for which you want to unassign licenses.

Select Unassign licenses.

In the Unassign licenses box, select Unassign.