SOLVED

"Close original message window when replying or forwarding" option in Outlook 365 doesn't work

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I've been switching from Outlook 2016 to Outlook 365 on my PC for a while now. Visually not much of a change. However, when it comes to using it, a feature that worked on Outlook 2016 is a problem on Outlook 365.

When I open a mail in a separate window and I click on the "reply" button, the window in which the mail was, should close and a new mail editing window should open. (This is the case if this option is checked: "Outlook Options ==> Mail ==> Close the original message window when replying or forwarding")

On Outlook 2016, this has always worked very well. On the other hand on Outlook 365, after putting the check mark, it only works for the first mail you answer. After that, it does not work anymore.

Have any of you ever encountered this problem and have a solution for it?

Thank you in advance for your help.

12 Replies
It seems to work fine here. Which build of Office is that exactly?

@Vasil Michev  

This worked fine with Outlook 2016, but not with Outlook 365. I use the following version of Outlook: Version 2104 (build 13929.20296)

I noticed that if I disable via GPO "Disable Connected Experiences" for the Office suite, I no longer have the problem. After applying this GPO if I go to Outlook => Office Account ==> Manage Settings, I can see that :

vp096_0-1629354027932.png

But it doesn't help me because then I can't sync anything with the cloud (OneDrive and SharePoint).

best response confirmed by vp096 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
We had a bug recently that had the same symptoms where the original message did not close, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/-the-properties-of-the-message-have-been-changed-prompt-w....

If you are on Current Channel make sure you are up to date on version. You can see the versions by channel on this page, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-microsoft365-apps-by-date?redirectSour....

When this issue was occurring I also reproduced it with Adobe Acrobat Pro and the issue was still occurring with that add-in even after the fix. I think Adobe might need to make a change if they have not already.

There is a similar bug logged right now with the AIP Add-in but I think it mostly repros when setting labels. It might be other scenarios too.

If you are able to update to Version 2105 Build 14026.20308 or higher test and confirm if that fixes it or not. If the issue is still present I would try disabling AIP or other add-ins one at a time to see which might be causing it. Also, when you disable Connected Experiences that disables many of the Agave/store add-ins. I did not test with that setting when we had the original bug to know if it makes a difference.
Hello,

Thank you for your message. I have upgraded the Office 365 suite to version 2108 and the 2 issues I had have been resolved.

Thanks for your help and have a nice day.

@vp096The issue has returned in Office 365 2109 version. I am seeing it pop up at multiple clients in multiple companies. 2108 did not have the issue. I had to force the users back to the semi-annual channel to get it to go away.

@MosesHull 

If you go to File, Options, Add-ins, Go, and uncheck any non standard add-ins, then restart Outlook, does the issue persist?

Just to double check, but if you go to File, Options, Mail, Replies and Forwards, is Close original message window when replying or forwarding checked?

Are there any third party integrated apps or add-ins in use?  I tested Current Channel and Beta channel and I could not immediately cause the issue.  I don't have any non standard add-ins currently installed though.  

@Gabe Bratton, I just stumbled on this nearly year old thread. Running Outlook Version 2002 (Build 12527.22197), turning off the GPGol (a PGP implementation) add-in solves the problem for me. Turning it back on immediately causes the problem to reappear. Unfortunately, I need that add-in, so disabling non-standard add-ins is a non-starter for me.
@peteryee,

One thing to check is if you can update to a newer build (File, Office Account, Update Options, Update Now). The Version/Build you are on is a pretty old build. For reference this page shows the latest builds per channel, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-microsoft365-apps-by-date?redirectSour....

@Gabe Bratton, unfortunately, what I'm using is Office 2021, so I'm assuming I'm stuck with the build I have. Buy the non-365 version and that's what happens. Fair enough, that was the deal for a one-time license. I do hope that the lack of updates in this thread means that others are doing better with newer Office 365 builds.

@peteryee, I don't work as much on Perpetual SKUs but I think the version should be higher than what you have. From what I know Office 2021 Perpetual should be Volume License or Retail on this page, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-office-2021. I am not sure what could be the discrepancy but from what I see the version should be higher.

@Gabe Bratton, thanks, I'll see if I can figure out what's holding up updates for this copy of Office. Seems like there's a different problem to deal with before I can get the replies to work the way I want. Yup, figured it out. This is a complete tangent. My system is running Windows 7. While I did buy ESU for at least a couple of years, just being on Windows 7 seems to prevent Office updates. No matter -  I have a Windows 10 system waiting in the wings that will get around that problem.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by vp096 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
We had a bug recently that had the same symptoms where the original message did not close, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/-the-properties-of-the-message-have-been-changed-prompt-w....

If you are on Current Channel make sure you are up to date on version. You can see the versions by channel on this page, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-microsoft365-apps-by-date?redirectSour....

When this issue was occurring I also reproduced it with Adobe Acrobat Pro and the issue was still occurring with that add-in even after the fix. I think Adobe might need to make a change if they have not already.

There is a similar bug logged right now with the AIP Add-in but I think it mostly repros when setting labels. It might be other scenarios too.

If you are able to update to Version 2105 Build 14026.20308 or higher test and confirm if that fixes it or not. If the issue is still present I would try disabling AIP or other add-ins one at a time to see which might be causing it. Also, when you disable Connected Experiences that disables many of the Agave/store add-ins. I did not test with that setting when we had the original bug to know if it makes a difference.

View solution in original post