Profile Photo - Question Mark icon

Silver Contributor

All of a sudden, I have a small green Question Mark "?" over the profile photo that displays in the top right corner of the Office Suite Bar. Does anyone know what this signifies?

Question Mark IconQuestion Mark Icon

47 Replies

Do you mean in the web UI bar?

yes
No idea, I have only seen this on my Microsoft (P-SELLER) account and I still don't know what does it means

Same issue here. Also this UI element changed as well. It was just the image before, now it shows the name as well.

When you click the image, the side pane border sits flush with the Notifications symbol.

I think it means you have been flagged by microsoft as a "questionable character"

:)

I still have only the picture and not the name.

Anyway, the question mark seems connected to Skype for Business presence, correct?

Does it appear on all bars (i.e. OWA, OdfB, Sharepoint etc.) ?

I do have Skype for Business, and when I open that app, it shows my presence with a Green checkmark.

Dynamics shows my Picture without the ?

The EXO apps (Mail, Calendar,  Tasks, and People ) all show my Picture with a small gray circle

PhotoWithCircle.png

You idea about it being related to Presence make sense, and it appears to be another buggy implementation of a feature in O365.

It's presence in my OWA.

I'm not really sure why I would want to know my own presence all the time, I know if I'm busy.

For @Dean Gross it does kind of look like he's eating something grey and round, maybe a macaroon? marshmallow?

Well, given that it is Skype presence, why in your case it is grey and/or a question mark?

Does it mean that your actual presence is offline/invisible?

i think it is determing if you are online in the browser skype..
I'm seeing the same behavior in my tenant.

Many of us are supposed experts and MVPs in the Industry. If we can't figure it out, I'm not sure how users would be expected to be able to figure it out. Wish these things were simpler to understand..

Same here. so far unsolved

Maybe related to this, my SfB ceased to work in the browser a few weeks back and now I just get no presence. This site seems to explain why:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt607043(v=exchg.160).aspx

'To configure instant messaging (IM) integration between Skype for Business Server and Outlook on the web in Exchange 2016, you need to use the Exchange Management Shell. This is different than previous versions of Exchange where you needed to edit the web.config file. If you edit the web.config file instead of using the steps in this topic, the settings are ignored and Outlook on the web users receive the following error message:

There's a problem with instant messaging. Please try again later.'

We are seeing this as well (SharePoint Online, gcloud in our case). All users show up as just question marks icons, no matter what their Skype status is.

it is interesting to note that it seems the status works in some services (like OWA), but not others (like SharePoint online).

As far as I can remember, the SfB presence hs never worked in SPO powered web UIs.

It has worked only in EXO powered web UIs.

My guess is that the question mark simply means that the SfB presence cannot be determined in that web UI (i.e. in SPO).

Same here...?

I've had  the same for the last few days. Today surprise surpise it suddenly disappeared and turned green again.

I wonder if this is related to which Online presence is being picked up.

SO in my situation I've been logged in:

- on my phone in the Skype app.

- my desk top in skype for business

- and today while the icon turned fully green I was running a meeting in my teams app.

So I wonder if online presence now depends on Microsoft teams instead of your local SFB instance. Or maybe it's about multiple applications where my phone fell asleep and my desktop is active and Office 365 gets confused.

We're still experiencing that small question mark.

A few months ago before the name was preceding the Picture we had a small vertical bar between the picture and the online help icon. That bar was also at the same place in OWA (mail/calendar/people) and switched color depending on your availability. In Sharepoint however the bar was always 'gray' as if the it was no possible to determine your availability.

In OWA this interesting feature provides you the possibility to quickly change your availability (in case you receive a phone call or somebody shows up at your desk for a conversation) and is still working fine today (instead of a bar we now have a small bullit/dot to indicate the presence).

Like to find out how we can make that feature also working in Sharepoint.