Problems setting up 365 Mail on own domain

Copper Contributor

Hi Friendly Folks;

Yesterday when trying to connect the first two laptops to our domain through 365 Admin, the one that had the admin account connected but the other would not connect to its mailbox. I changed the password several times through the tool, but kept getting the pop-up window to enter PW after PW. It's killed my migration because I can't cutover without being sure all the working stations will switchover once I change the MX record. All suggestions gratefully accepted. David

8 Replies
Are you trying to connect with a domain not yet switched over in dns (mx)
what domain is the admin account on?

Adam

Hi,

Are you trying to sign in to web mail or with outlook? Where do you get the pop-up window from?

Did you add you own domain into Office 365 so it is accepted as an domain? You don't have to change MX records for that.

It seems he logged in properly so my guess was that the domain was added in 365! What I was wondering about is that the mail didn’t work and no dns records wasn’t changed! This is normal but I was thinking the admin account is on a .onmicrosoft.com domain

Could be that the own domain is added but not verified and that both accounts are owndomain.onmicrosoft.com but they tried to sign in with @owndomain.com. 

When the own domain is verified you should be able to set that domain in the username and sign in at login.microsoftonline.com but you won't get any mails util MX is changed and you won't be able to sign-in with autodiscover from Outlook until autodiscover.owndomain.com is added to DNS.

Exactly :)

Thanks Linus. How do I make sure the domain is 'verified?' I didn't take and additional verification steps.. Nothing during the process suggested the domain wasn't isn't yet valid.  Thanks :)

Go into domains in the admin portal! Check the status there! You need to verify that you are the owner of the domain! Easiest is by creating a TXT record in the dns ! You will be given instructions in the portal! Here you will also see all the necessary dns records!

Adam
Thanks all. This was a problem with 365 yesterday causing excessive delay. The fine Folks at MS connected in and confirmed everything and it is now testing fine.