SOLVED

Prevent users to change profil photo

Brass Contributor

I want to prevent users that they can change the company's profile picture, but I cannot find the solution on the web. I have tried several solutions, but still is the user capable to change the profile photo... What is the best solution for it?

For example: this is not working for me:

http://www.msexchange.org/kbase/ExchangeServerTips/ExchangeServer2013/OutlookOWA/prevent-users-chang....

46 Replies

If the OWA policy is set to prevent users from modifying their profile picture in O365/Exchange, can a global admin still change it on behalf of the user?  It seems when using the Managing Another User option, the option to change the profile picture is not available.  Using the Set-UserPhoto cmdlet didn't seem to work either. 

It can still be changed in the users admin center and also changed by the user in their user options via Outlook. 

Try with this one > Get-OwaMailboxPolicy | Set-OwaMailboxPolicy -SetPhotoURL $false
You'll disable the users the option to search and choose the photo they want to upload.
Of course, after apply the already known Get-OwaMailboxPolicy | Set-OwaMailboxPolicy -SetPhotoEnabled $false

Hi Diego,

Thanks for your answer. Could you please tell me more about the SetPhotoURL parameter?

It seems it's a String type of value, not Boolean.

Also, I'm note sure that this command will prevent users from uploading their photo in Teams.

And what about https://portal.office.com/userphoto

Did Microsoft simply leave this open with no policy enforcement. I find users simply using this backdoor (let aside Teams) to circumvent all policy restrictions.

This is getting difficult by the day for enterprises that want a policy around the profile photos.

Wow--had no idea that was there. I just tested and it works fine in my environment--well, it incorrectly allows me to change my photos despite having set O365 to prevent this.

Why do they even let us believe we have any control at all? Sigh.

Checking if there has been any progress with this? Can Teams and other still override the OWA policy? In this case I suspect it would be better to have a scripted job, perhaps on a weekend to update all photos to keep within corporate guidelines.

I still seem to be able to change my profile photo in Teams...and it still seems to replace photos across all the services. Pretty quickly in fact.

Would like an update on this as well.

Just try it and let us know if it works, it worked in my side.
> Get-OwaMailboxPolicy | Set-OwaMailboxPolicy -SetPhotoURL $false

We set this long ago here and it's never prevented us from using Teams to change the photo. It does prevent changing the photo from other Office 365 apps.

Has anyone used Hyperfish - https://www.hyperfish.com/ - wonder if this can help?

I also used that setting last year and it still allows them to change it.  I opened a ticket with MS support and they admitted that it couldn't be locked down but they were looking into a solution.  That was about 7 months ago now.  I never heard anything else from them. 

Hi @James Gantt

Any news about this?

@Harry Dubois 

Any update on this? We having a major problem with users changing their photos.

@TimAttwell No solution yet. We are using CodeTwo User Photos, but that is only for uploading the photo, it does not prevent users from editing...

@Harry Dubois 

Thanks Harry. I'm also using CodeTwo to change the photos, at the moment.

@Dean Gross  Standards.  We have users that have been uploading goofy pictures, replacing their professional pictures.

@Dean Gross 

Another reason is to maintain professionalism. So you don't have a refrigerator, high school mascot, and potentially something NSFW in a Teams call/message, email, etc

These photos are only internal from my experience but if someone wants to put a picture of steak up, it could offend a vegan user. (Not my opinion, but you get the point.)

Easier to turn the option off and keep everything professional and congruent.

I have every option in Azure/Sharepoint/Exchange set to NOT ALLOW picture change (as per ie https://www.codetwo.com/admins-blog/prevent-users-from-changing-profile-photos-microsoft-365/ )

Get-OwaMailboxPolicy | FL name,SetPhotoEnabled
Name            : OwaMailboxPolicy-Default
SetPhotoEnabled : False

get-CASMailbox -Identity Am*li*.M**l*email address removed for privacy reasons | fl OwaMailboxPolicy
OwaMailboxPolicy : OwaMailboxPolicy-Default

In Teams I get:

Change your profile picture
Picture options are disabled by policy.

Yet on of my users got a Dinosaur picture instead the one which was admin uploaded

I simply cannot figure out how that happened (user reckons she did not purposely change, and in fact wants it reverted to proper one - so I am not fighting user here, just need to understand the mystery)

Seb