Preference Setting for Display Name vs. First Name

Copper Contributor

Does anyone know if there is a way to use the 'display name' field from an account, instead of the first name and/or last name field in the O365 portal?  Can we set a preference that if a name variable is required, it calls from the display name field only?  For example, on the O365 home page, there is a welcome message that shows the user's first name (ie: Good afternoon, Brett), but in the upper right hand corner, it shows the display name (ie: David Fredrickson).  There is some concern within our organization that this will cause confusion for those who typically have different display and first names.

4 Replies

Brett, I'm 99% sure that this is not something you can control in an Office 365 tenant.

The "Good morning, X" is hard coded.

Suggest you raise a support ticket within your organisation to seek an official answer.

I'm guessing there's a variation for different languages, but you probably don't want to change the language settings of your tenant.

Good luck and post back and let us know how you got on.

-Sonia 

Totally agree with Sonia, you cannot change how user name is displayed across Office 365

@Juan Carlos González Martín 

I can say it is possible for Office admin to set preference to display Preferred Name over First Name. I've requested my admin for the same and it actually worked.

@123venkat7 

Do you care to share how this was accomplished?  thanks!