Poor Onedrive performance syncing Sharepoint libraries

Copper Contributor

Hello all

I've recently migrated a 15 user site away from their sbs2008 server to O365. They had a handful of shared folders which I've moved to corresponding sharepoint libraries. There are 8 libraries, 4 less than a GB with only a few files and 4 ranging from 10 > 105GB with less than 80k files at most in each.

My thought was to use the latest Onedrive client (downloaded from O365) in files-on-demand mode to sync whatever libraries individual users needed on their Win10/Office 2013 PCs. The maximum number of synced libraries per Onedrive client is 6.

The problem is intermittent very slow performance of Onedrive where it will site at 'processing changes', 'updating' etc. for long periods of time, often requiring a reset to break the stall. This is causing lots of problems with file duplication due to sync clashes and the users are getting pretty fed up with it.

I found some interesting advice here https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/Syncing-SharePoint-sites-with-OneDrive/m-p/363867#...

and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to improve the performance of Onedrive to make it usable? I was already starting to consider the approach in the above post and move away from syncing towards mapping drives directly to the libraries. I accept that it's considered 'old hat' today but as in the post, it's very difficult to sell to the user because they know and trust the mapped drive approach. If I can get some stability then I can work on moving them on to a better solution.

Would there be any benefit to moving all the existing sharepoint libraries to folders under a single parent library so that the Onedrive clients only have one sync point or would the fact that the total item count in that library be now in excess of 100k cause additional problems?

Any advice on the best practices for this gratefully received! :)

Adrian

3 Replies

@AdrianL30 

Might it be a locally installed AV/Malware software causing issues?  Perhaps exclusions are required?

@PaulaSillars 

Thanks Paula. I forget about that option almost every time!

It's a valid suggestion and I'll certainly add the exclusions to help but the Onedrive performance on this site is so dire that I feel there's a lot more going on.....

Adrian

@AdrianL30 its easy to overlook but definitely worth trying.  I've seen many issues through AV causing some unusual behaviour.

I often find its easiest to completely remove it, retest and then you can be 100% sure whether its the cause or not.