Planner Calendar does not update in Outlook

Iron Contributor

I recently saw that Planner had Outlook integration now so I decided I would finally give Planner a chance. I created a task in Planner and then I clicked ''add plan to Outlook calendar'', the calendar was added to Outlook and I saw the task I created as expected. However now when I add new tasks they do not get added to the Outlook calendar, all I see is the first task I created before syncing Planner to Outlook. Even the iCalendar link provided dosent work. How is Outlook integration for Planner supposed to function? Any idea why the calendar isn't updating? Thanks!

33 Replies

@brainsoft I really don't know, sorry. I see 2 possible solutions for you:

1. Set up in your desktop version some service to run the refresh every minute.

2. Create a Flow with Power Automate to trigger the refresh.

PS: I did not investigate to be honest, so it might be not possible. Just suggesting

@Coder81 I can confirm this workaround of manually adding the iCal url works as stated in Outlook Desktop as of April 2020. You still need to Refresh to see the updates. It is an unfriendly hack though. The integration is one way. Editing the events in desktop does not affect the Plan, but also does not tell you it isn't affecting the plan. Refreshing doesn't revert your changes to show you the real plan. You need to make a change to the item in the plan then refresh outlook to get it to revert. This is likely due to it being just a iCalendar subscription. 

A new plan creates a whole "group" with email and calendar and everything. Why can't the Plan control a real calendar?

Planner is so close to being amazing and it's really calendar that is lacking.

@Coder81 I can confirm what @Brady1365 says. Synch between Planner and Outlook does not "work fine".

@Coder81 can confirm that it does not work well too. Quite unfortunate, started to like how planner helps to organise my tasks but the syncing has issues.

Seems to be a design issue as mentioned https://petri.com/planner-synchronizes-outlook-calendar

Hope that there will be a solution soon.

This would be nice to see working.  Oh well.

@Jason Drew 

@Jason Drew 

I went the route of adding a parallel action and an Outlook Create an Event because of syncing issues I noticed here. I created a shared calendar for our unit first within Outlook first.

So, right now, it runs as such (simplified)  we have a form for requests- once submitted > Planner Task created > 5 second Delay> Planner Task description updated with specific form results inserted > Outlook Calendar item created.

Until the sync issue is resolved, this seems to be an easy work around that doesn't require any refreshing or manual intervention.

@MVC-Vince 

Its november 2020 and the issue is still here. I wouldve gone for the automator option but and event doesnt contain the checklist of the task. Just flat out annoying

I am also facing the same issue - tasks added in Planner are not reflected in Outlook calendar unless we manually sync for each user. 

Please let me know if anyone has found a solution / workaround for this

This blog post has worked for me for the last year or 2. It may need some time to update. Clicking the Send/Receive all Folders button will get them to show up in Microsoft Outlook.

View Planner tasks on your Outlook calendar - Microsoft Tech Community

Hi,

I'm new to Office 365. We switch to this system few days ago and I still have the very same problem as you have for years. Any information if there is a fix/workaround for that? I do have only the web version of all apps. Not desktop.

@jakudo late 2023 and still exactly the same issue as in 2018. This is with enterprise office 365 

@Chrischris777 I don't understand, why this simple feature is not implemented. It's so easy....

I agree. I've given up on seeing the Planner tasks in Outlook. I just look at Planner throughout the day.

It's 2024 now, has this issue been resolved? Planned a full year out, and was very excited about it syncing with MS Outlook Calendar but that's the end! Any new information put into the planner does not sync with Outlook Calendar. Is there a way to make this happen? My whole team is now on this planner which seems to be a waste of time if it doesn't sync, as there is no desktop App for Planner, so it seems to be only web-based.