Page numbering and chapters

Copper Contributor

I'm putting together a song book that has all my chords and lyrics. I've managed to get a table of contents and page numbering to work.  But then it dawned on me that if I add more songs after it is printed I will have to reprint the whole book.  I'm already up to almost 200 pages.

So I figured it would be best to divide it into sections where my page numbers would be like 1-1, 1-2, 1-3...,2-1, 2-2, 2-3, etc  Then If I add more pages I only need to reprint part of the appropriate section or worse case the whole section.

Problem is when I try to do this I get an error message about assigning multilevel lists to headings.  When I try to do that now I get numbers in front of my song titles instead of page numbers at the top of the page.

Can someone please help me do this in a step by step fashion that makes sense.  Help files assume the user knows more than they do.

5 Replies
Hi @RickMase, what you are needing to do is create Sections through Headers & Footers for your pages & their numbers rather than multilevel lists which focuses on the Table on Content / Styles in a document (which is why it put numbering in front of your songs). Here is some information that may help you (Just research: adding headers and footers for different sections of a document):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/configure-headers-and-footers-for-different-sections-of-a...

Thank you for your reply. I think I understand doing what it suggests but should I undo all the previous stuff to remove the multi-level list and how do I do that?

Will this give me page numbers in a 1-1, 1-2, ... 2-1, 2-2... format? I think I was going down your suggested road when Word told me I had to make a multi level list in ordee=r to get the page format I wanted.
Unless you want multi-lists then remove, this has no bearing or impact on page numbering. Page numbers are affected by page breaks and the types of breaks you use. A continuous break will affect your numbering and you may have to right click and assign numbers. Double click into your Footer, there are different Footer parts that can be used. Customise it as you need to: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/add-page-numbers-to-a-header-or-footer-in-word-46d6dfe5-f...
I appreciate your attempts to help me but, simply referring me to a knowledge base article is not enough. You have not even answered my questions, nor have you provided a step by step procedure to undo and redo what I did. I'm 67 years old and the technology has outgrown my ability to keep up with the changes. What used to be easy no longer is.

perhaps an example of what I'm looking for will help guide you into being able to better help me.

1. Remove the multi level list. then a link
2. Remove or change the page number and / or header, then the link.
3. etc.

I have over 300 pages in this document. When I made some of the changes before it was quite a while ago so I don't remember how I even did them.

It seems to me that I must first undo the multi level list first. I cannot find out how to do that. The help files and my internet searches only turn up how to delete a list style from the gallery. How do I remove the list from the document? The list is what gives me the section numbers and puts the numbers on my song titles.

Please help me in a way that I can understand and easily follow.
Never mind I figured it out.