OWA: add from address using PowerShell

Copper Contributor

Staff have access to many shared mailboxes and SendAs permission to be able to send from those shared mailboxes.

To simplify things for them, I have set:

Set-MailboxMessageConfiguration-AlwaysShowFrom $true 

but they still need to click on "From", delete their primary email and type in the email address of their shared account like shown here: https://oit.rutgers.edu/connect/guides/using-shared-mailboxes-and-calendars/send-alternate-email-add...

I would like to save them from having to manually type in the email addresses of the shared accounts they have SendAs permission for.  When I grant SendAs access to any shared mailbox, I would like to also populate their "From" drop-down box with the shared mailbox address.

How do I do this?

6 Replies

There's no way to do this unfortunately. The "from" list in OWA is kept in the mailbox and is different than the one used in Outlook, but there are no tools to modify it that I am aware of.

Hi Daniel,

we are talking about OWA, right?

If so I'm a bit confused. Have a look at this screenshot:

fromdropdownlis.png

Yes, we are talking about OWA and yes, what you show in your screenshot is exactly where I currently manually add the additional from addresses.

What are you confused about?

@Daniel Mare wrote:

Yes, we are talking about OWA and yes, what you show in your screenshot is exactly where I currently manually add the additional from addresses.

What are you confused about?

You wrote:

but they still need to click on "From", delete their primary email and type in the email address of their shared account 

I'm confused about the fact that I don't need to delete my primary email and type anything. I'm just clicking the on From:  and select an address from the drop-down list.

That's probably because you have already added it once - it remembers it and populates list, or those may be IMAP/POP accounts you're viewing, instead of shared mailboxes.

What I'd like to do is add items to that list for users, so that they only ever have to select it from the drop-down, instead of having to manually add it the first time they send from that shared email.

I have approx. 200 users with shared mailboxes - most have access to a large amount of shared mailboxes, so manually accessing users' mailboxes one-by-one and adding their shared email addresses to their from list for them will take too long to do. 

Understood.
As Vasil has already answered that's impossible.