Outlook with Office365 Exchange

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm searching for a solution for a problem with our office365 account and the connectet Outlook 2016.

Problem: It is impossible to open a single folder of an other exchange account.

See the attached error picture. "Folder can't bee show. Folder can't be found." It is also not possible to open a hole exchange account - that only works in owa. In owa is the folder only also not working. The rights are set to delegate. that works well with the hole account in owa - but nowhere else.

Does maybe someone has a solution for this issue?

Thanks for your help

6 Replies

Are both mailboxes in Office 365? Is this across a hybrid connectivity? OWA is recommended method to grant granular permissions. Other option is to use EXO PowerShell cmdlets to assign full mailbox permissions. Ensure you are following the correct process to grant access.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2013/09/04/configuring-delegate-access-in-outlook...

You need to make sure that you have added at least "FolderVisible" permissions to any "parent" folder in the path, including the Root/Top of information. Otherwise Outlook will not be able to "see" the folder, even if you have granted Owner permissions. OWA uses a different method, so it will work even without those permissions.

Yes, both are Office 365 Accounts.

I've found the issue, that it is possible to open delegated mailboxes between two Users of "Global Admins" in outlook and in owa. It works to open a mailbox in owa from a "normal" user, but it still doesn't work to open a mailbox or just a single folder in outlook.

So i guess, it is not a failure of setting up mailbox permissions, because that way I used, setting up delegations at administrative center of the server directly, will works with that admin accounts. But the same way not work for normal users.

So I thougt, maybe there is a rule or something, what protect the user mailboxes from access?

There are no such "rules", check the permissions.

The permissions where set to Owner in Outlook. Folder Visibility is also set on every folder, but the error is still the same.

I wonder how it could be, that it works on some users, but not on the most.

I tried to set the user to global admin, but the erorr is still the same.

Do you have an other idea for that issue?

Thanks for your help.

Well, to exclude any client-related issues, check whether you can access the folder from OWA.