Outlook - Want both POP & IMAP account for same address

Copper Contributor

I have been using Outlook 2010 until it reached end of life recently. In it I was able to set up both a POP & IMAP account for the same email address. That way I could opt to not sign in to the POP account and read the messages via the IMAP account and leave them on the server for a while. Then some time later when I wanted the messages down on my PC I could sign into the POP account.

I just subscribed to Microsoft 365 and tried to set this same arrangement up in Outlook there and it won't let me do it. I've created a POP account and when I try to create the IMAP account it tells me "This email address has already been added". I suspect that what I am trying to do is no longer allowed/possible. Can anyone confirm this or, better yet, tell me how to accomplish what I want?

Thanks.

3 Replies

@Diane Poremsky might know the answer to this

@BarryEB new versions of outlook no longer allow an address added twice. If you have an alias on the account and can use it to log in, you would be able to use that address to sign in - but not when you use the one address. 

My suggestion: 2 profiles, with the POP pst file in both profiles. Switch to the POP profile when you need to download. 

Or: keep the pst in the profile and move the mail from IMAP to pst when you are ready to remove it from the server.  

@Diane PoremskyI'd basically like to have the same ability as the original poster described in Dec 2020.

The only differences are that I'm asking 2 years later and

1) Microsoft has finally ended support for WIN7 on my "daily driver" pc

2) I've updated my previous OUTLOOK 2016 so that it's now the OUTLOOK that's buried as a piece of my MICROSOFT 365 subscription

3) and finally I see that as of late November/2022 I see that MICROSOFT has also just "Deprecated" the use of "basic authentication" in POP accounts (it's not good enough for current security standards) deprecation-of-basic-authentication-exchange-online 

• and I'm guessing that's what's now causing the symptom I'm seeing. My POP account with my internet service provider has worked flawlessly for many many years, but now it's unusable.
  • it still RECEIVES all new emails normally ... but it no longer lets me SEND any new emails + but additionally it wont even let me OPEN and READ any emails sitting in my INBOX (i.e. in my existing OUTLOOK.PST file).

I've accepted the fact that I need to switch to an IMAP connection to my internet service provider whether I like it or not, but this is my question.

Because I have years of email "history" sitting in my OUTLOOK.PST file that I want to keep accessible ... and recognizing I can only use it to OPEN and READ old emails, but can't use it to SEND any emails ... would you have any suggestions on how I could do this with my existing single email id with my internet service provider?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have for my convoluted question :flushed:.