Outlook Tasks in Microsoft To-Do

Silver Contributor

I have started to give a look to Microsoft To-Do.

I am a (veeery) long time user of Outlook Tasks and I was pleased to see that Outlook Tasks got automatically synchronized in Microsoft To-Do. But I would have expected that Outlook Tasks reminders appeared automatically as To-Do reminders on my iPhone. Unfortunately this seems not to be the case: reminders are indeed set in To-Do but they don't trigger any kind of notification on the iPhone. Moreover, overdue Outlook Tasks don't appear automatically in My Day list in To-Do and it looks like I have to manually add them.

What am I missing?

41 Replies

Hi Salvatore,

In opposite to you I'm not a big fun of Outlook Tasks, but also started to play with To-Do. I use two accounts

1) Private on O365 Home connected to iPhone app

2) Work one with O365 E3 conected to Desktop and Win10 Mobile apps

Can't say right now about first option, but for the second one it looks like mobile app doesn't sync tasks in the background. You have to open (or re-open) phone app to sync after any change in tasks. After that reminders appear on the phone and it shows correctly all tasks, includes overdue one. Doesn't matter where they were created, in Desktop app or directly in Outlook. 

Thanks Sergei.

This morning the notifications appeared on my iPhone.

Unfortunately, though, Microsoft To-Do TOTALLY screwed my Outlook Tasks, changing all the start dates of the recurring tasks (and also of some other non-recurring tasks): really a mess!

Luckily, before activating To-Do (being it a preview...), I made a backup of all my Outlook Tasks (that in my case are about 200) and therefore I have been able to restore them without further problems.

Well, I think To-Do has still a long journey to-do (pun intended) before being ready with Outlook Tasks integration, so I give up for the moment.

We will see...

cc @Candy Ho

Hi Salvatore,

Two hundred active tasks - that's impressive!

I played few minutes with with tasks - created one task each on To-Do Desktop, mobile, OL2016 and in cloud. Set reminders on couple of minutes ahead.

All reminders appears in time. Tasks were created in both To-Do:s everywhere are shown correctly - time of creation, due time.

Tasks created in Office (both OL and cloud) are shown with Due Yesterday. Moreover, reminder in OL interface shows strange time under the task, perhaps that's end of my business day, and strange due time (few hours from now), i have no interpretation for it. 

Same OL interface for ToDo:s tasks shows the time of task creation and due time is relative to reminder time (or actual overdue).

It looks like different logic in classic OL tasks and To-Dos tasks.

Okay, that's just the task into my ToDo list to clarify all that stuff.

Hi Sergei.

Well, I ve been creating and mantaining recurring Outlook Tasks, wich are 90% of the total of mine, during the last 20 years (yes, I know, I am an old man...). Hence, most days of my life are marked by the popping out of some recurring task. :-)))

Also, since I own a couple of iPhones (and a couple of iPads), I am very disappointed by the native synchronization of Outlook Tasks with IOS Reminders. Therefore I hoped that To-Do could offer a better experience.

Unfortunately, To-Do makes a VERY poor job in importing recurring Outlook Tasks, as you are confirming, and so I am still more disappointed!

@Candy Ho: are you aware that recurring Outlook Tasks (and also not recurring ones) get broken in To-Do? Do you plan to address such issues?

Hi Salvatore,

Yes, we are aware of it and actively working on a fix. Hopefully it will be working soon. We will let you know if there are any updates. Thanks for bearing with us on this.

Candy

Thank you Candy.

Happy to know that you are aware of it.

Looking forward to getting updates on this issue.

We use Hosted Exchange via AppRiver. I looked at MS's To-Do, but since it does not seem to work with Tasks (Outlook or OWA) we ruled it out. Apparently the importer only works with Wunderlist and Todolist, which we do not use.

I expect it will only work with Exchange Online and not hosted Exchange.

Though a deal-breaker for me, and for my team, I appreciate the info!

Oh wow ... thanks Salvatore. I was thinking to enable it and and give it a try but after reading your post I might need a little bit more re-think ...
Also looking forward to getting updates here. My recurring tasks are now also a mess. I've been waiting for a tasks app for ten tears now.

i am a user of outlook, and am trying to get along with todo.

i also use exchange from where i create tasks. Those tasks do appear in Outlook (client & online) but not in Todo. Will this be solved anytime soon?

Are you using Exchange Online or on premises?

To-Do sync works only with EOL.

I cannot get my to do list android app to sync with my Microsoft outlook.  I am using an office 365 Business Premium License

we use exchange online

In attachement you find my outlook online with tasks. in this list you find tasks with enveloope. These come from outlook. these tasks don't appear in todo.

is there a special action we need to take?

we use exchange online

In attachement you find my outlook online with tasks. in this list you find tasks with enveloope. These come from outlook. these tasks don't appear in todo.

is there a special action we need to take?

No special action needed: it should work.

Please double-check that you have signed into To-Do with your O365 work account and not with your MSA: this is a common mistake. 

Hi Ricardo,

May we know which device/platform are you using? Sorry for the inconvenience caused!

Candy from To-Do
Hi Titia,

Seconding Salvatore, please kindly make sure you have signed in with your O365 work account instead of MSA. It should work fine with your O365 account.

Thanks,
Candy