Outlook - Spellcheck moved from right click to left click

Brass Contributor

In the last week, the spell check option in my Office 365 Outlook has changed from the right click to the left click. I am assuming this was some kind of update to Office. The change hasn't occurred in any of my desktop office programs.

The change is driving me insane; I keep clicking the wrong button and my work hence is taking longer. The is compounded by the fact I have to remember that other office programs still use right click so its doesn't matter which program I'm in now I click the wrong button first!! This may seen insignificant but it greatly affects the usability of the product.

Right click has always been for spell-checking; not just in Office programs but generally through most software. Please advise how I can return Office 365 outlook to right click for spelling. I have attached a screen print showing my current menu options for right vs left click.

Thank you for your help.

32 Replies
This seems like a very unnecessary and annoying change for your users. There is no positive feedback here regarding this matter.

MS- Could you please at least offer the option for people to change to back to the universal option of right-click for spelling corrections?

It's a major headache and a slowdown for productivity when a change like that is made. There is no reason to go against the grain for a things that's already universally agreed upon. It's annoying and makes me frustrated that my employer uses your software.
I lose an inordinate amount of time per week to this broken idea.

As every other poster has said, there is no reason to deviate from such a well established convention.

(While posting this comment, I had a popup asking me for feedback... just read the comments!)
This is infuriating and totally obtuse by MS. What next, swap the space bar and shift key functions just 'because'? Awful.

@Megan4123 This is so annoying!  It was the main reason I quit the preview and I made sure to let MS know that was reason.  The New Outlook was just pushed down to some of us today and the spell check change is just so annoying!  What's worse, I did a test in word, and apparently left and right click both do spell check, so why remove it form the context menu in Outlook???

I couldn't agree more. After years of right clicking for spell checker I cannot adapt to the new left click. Bring back the right click! @Megan4123 

Posting this so that it gets at least one post each month. I'm doing my part.  Stupid change. Please revert. 

I totally agree, the left click is driving me around the bend. Im so used to using the right mouse button. There has to be away of moving it back?
To revert the spell-check option in Office 365 Outlook back to right-click:

Open Outlook.
Go to File > Options.
In the Outlook Options dialog box, select Mail.
Scroll down to the section labeled "Compose messages" and click on the Spelling and Autocorrect... button.
In the Editor Options dialog box, go to the Proofing section.
Uncheck the box that says "Enable proofing using left-click".
Click OK to save your changes and close the dialog boxes.
This should restore the spell-check option to right-click in Office 365 Outlook.

@sumaraasmatgmailcom 

Any idea where this option is in the new Outlook? (1.2024.207.500)

@Devon Harding - There isn't any such option in the new Outlook! (At least not any that I can find!) :unamused:

@PatrickGaul I quit using Outlook. Changed jobs and don't need to anymore! 

@PatrickGaul 

Mine is the same, no option.  Is bloomin frustrating.

My condolences! Absolutely ridiculous that MS changed this.