outlook message 0xc0000142

Copper Contributor

Hello All,

My outlook wont start anymore, I get a popup it says: cannot start correctly code 0xc0000142. I try a lot of things but nothing help. Anybody please?

regards Petra

36 Replies

@sleepbergingsbedrijf fbt 

Did you try an online repair... would recommend to check windows updates as well..

Thanks

@Vadim VasilyevWhat solution????

@Carl3 

The "fix" of telling you to open Outlook and run an update is worse than usless... it is outright insulting.

@clinton1022Any answer to this problem yet? I have just had Zoho offering to provide help and do an online look at my computer, whoever they are.

@clinton1022-- I started having the same problem today.  Have you had any satisfactory fix information?

I faced the same problem, and tried to repair the program from the "control panel".

Rather then uninstalling, i choose the repair option. once repaired, the outlook and other tools started to work. :)

Office installation failed
The error 0xc0000142 usually occurs when Office determines when starting the program that components of the Office installation are missing or faulty. As a rule, only an office repair installation helps here. Control Panel, Programs and Features, Right click Office.
Then select "Repair" and after the Office repair has been carried out, the error code 0xc0000142 should no longer occur when starting Office programs.

Error code 0xc0000142 can also occur far as I know, when Office is used in version 1803 Build 9126.2116 ago. Since Microsoft has now patched this error, we recommend updating the Office installation to the latest version.

Nicolino
I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

I've had this error a few times now and have managed to move on without deleting the app and reinstalling.
It appears that Outlook will sometimes fail to load and give the error code "0xc0000142", when a new patch goes live for Windows 10. Simply update Windows 10 and the error resolves itself. 
I hope that helps (better option than deleting and reinstalling the app!!!). 

I had the same problem by changing the settings under internet options / Security

try resetting all zones to default.

then restart your PC

Hello, 

The solution worked for me : 

1. Go to - Control Panel,
  2. Select - Programs and Features,
  3. Right-click on  Office Application.
  4. Then select "Change"
  5. A dialog box will appear "How would you like to repair your office programs" select "Quick Repair"

The error code 0xc0000142 will be fixed. 

It works for me ! Thx !

Natacha
Should actually work for everyone :).
Quick repair of Office (Control Panel - Programs and Features - Office right mouse button - Change - click next - select repair and OK) or windows update greater than 1803.
Both together do not hurt either:).

I was pleased that I could help you

You are welcome

Nikolino
I know that I don't know (Socrates)

@AamirShaikh If I open control panel, search for and open "programs and features" There is no "office application" listed.  I Do see "Microsoft 365 en-us".  I did change/quick repair on this, and it fixed the issue thanks.

This is on windows 10.

Previously I did Settings, apps and features, and there is an "office app", but it doesnt offer quick repair, only repair. I tried hitting the repair button, got no response, and this did not fix the issue.

Worked perfectly for me. Thanks!