SOLVED

Outlook Mac "there is no default application specified to open document"

Copper Contributor

User complaining that after updating to latest Office 2019 they are getting the following error:

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 11.39.40 AM.png

User says its for a variety of file types.  This error was generated by trying to open a pptx file.

MacOS 10.14.6

Outlook version: 16.41.20091302

6 Replies

So working with user when they open the attachment they get the no default application warning when opening the attachment from inside Outlook email:

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 11.35.28 AM.jpg

Yet the correct application opens the attachment anyway even with the above dialog showing.  It also seems that after the user chooses the correct application (Excel in this example) the warning goes away.

I'm not sure if it's gone forever so I'd like some help troubleshooting in case the issue returns...

@Layne123 I have the exact same problem. It does open the application, but also keeps the error window open as well. Not only PPT, also XLSX (so far).

@TTLJK 

It also happened to me today (original post was for a user with the issue).

I opened a ticket with Outlook Office 365 support and directed them here.

I have the same problem and its annoying. This happened only after the last upgrade installed.

best response confirmed by Layne123 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

From Outlook Support for what it's worth:
Appreciate your help in providing information related to the issue you are facing. We have identified this behavior as a BUG and report is already filed with the product engineering team and the issue is under investigation. I understand the severity of the issue and the requirement for the resolution. Since this needs to be tested and the fix needs to be rolled out, we would not be able to provide an ETA on the fix. The details provided by you have been updated to the bug for investigation.

Once the fix is rolled out to any BUG filed with the product engineering team, then it'll be released through updates for Outlook. Hence, keep your Outlook updated. You may refer to the Microsoft blog, where all the updates to the latest features and fixes are announced. Here is the link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/release-notes-office-for-mac

They also suggested I keep an eye here.

@Layne123  just checking outcome on this?? I have same issue when attaching pdf files and Word docs to emails. After sending recipient can't open and neither can i.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Layne123 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

From Outlook Support for what it's worth:
Appreciate your help in providing information related to the issue you are facing. We have identified this behavior as a BUG and report is already filed with the product engineering team and the issue is under investigation. I understand the severity of the issue and the requirement for the resolution. Since this needs to be tested and the fix needs to be rolled out, we would not be able to provide an ETA on the fix. The details provided by you have been updated to the bug for investigation.

Once the fix is rolled out to any BUG filed with the product engineering team, then it'll be released through updates for Outlook. Hence, keep your Outlook updated. You may refer to the Microsoft blog, where all the updates to the latest features and fixes are announced. Here is the link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/release-notes-office-for-mac

They also suggested I keep an eye here.

View solution in original post