Outlook keeps replacing new server settings with old ones

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Why is it always such a hassle if an outlook account setting needs to be changed?

I want to change the outgoing- and incoming mail server addresses from, let's say, mail.domain01.com to mail.domain02.com.

So I click "repair", select manual repair, click "repair" again, change the mail server addresses from mail.domain01.com to mail.domain02.com, click "Next" and I get "Account successfully repaired" I click "Done"

But, since it's outlook and that action didn't take half a day and it didn't involve any googling I get  suspicious...

So I check the settings I just changed, only to find that this seemingly easy change will probably take half a day after all.

Both server addresses had changed back to mail.domain01.com.

Anyone know which reg key to change this time?

Cheers,

Robert.

5 Replies

That's probably just autodiscover kicking in, have you updated the corresponding settings on the server side?

Hi Vasil,
thanks for helping!
I cant change anything on the server side, mail.domain01.com relays to mail.domain02.com but when I use mail.domain01.com I seem to get certificate errors so I want to use mail.domain02.com directly.
But since my email adrress is robert@domain01.com thinks go wrong.
Any way to turn of this auto discover?

Cheers,
Robert.

I think I figured it out.

I created the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\​SOFTWARE\​Microsoft\​Office\​16.0\​Outlook\​setup
DWORD: DisableOffice365SimplifiedAccountCreation
Value: 1 

This brings back the normal email account settings form and changes made in this form seem to stick!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Vasil!

I'm having this issue too - since Friday, all 7 of my email accounts keep changing  from what I input to incorrect server information but, despite 4 hours of pro support with dell, it's not fixed yet.  @robertdh can you assist me in applying this key/I have no idea what to do with it.  

@robertdh 

Glad that worked out for you, and I tried the same work around with my auto discover (worst feature in Outlook 2016+ btw) and it will still go out and fetch the wrong server settings when manually entering in the 32 bit and 64 bit architecture of the application.  I.E. Control Panel==>Mail==>Outlook==>Accounts for the more traditional old MS way.  Even with the auto discover disabled it still wants to fetch those settings on a repair.  Alos when I go to my domain on whois.com and see everything is correct with the correct registration and dns settings for the current provider/server.  I set-up manually and do a repair account in Outlook 365 and it still wants to go out and get my old domain provider settings.  It did it on my brand new Samsung 24+ too where I had to re-setup the account manually because the auto-discover did not find the new settings and used my old domain settings yet again.  I assume it is something outside of the application and Outlook desktop version that causes this issue ( may or may not be MS related).  I have checked with my new and old domain registrars and they don't seem to find any issue.  Perhaps maybe the settings are being stored on outlook.com somewhere under the same e-mail being set-up and going to look there.  Also Earthlink.net (old provider) still might be the culprit.  Maybe they didn't change a DNS settings as well, also Domain Registry of America obtained the domain at one point due to an expired credit card with EarthLink and we had to pay DROA to release it and maybe they didn't change something from the initial registrar either.   Any guidance on this issue is appreciated if is MS related.