SOLVED

Outlook keeps asking me how to open jpg files

Copper Contributor

Hi! This one drives me crazy - every time I try to open a jpg file from my Outlook 2016 (installed on Windows 10 as part of my Office 365 subscription), I get a prompt, regarding how do I want to open this file. Checking the box "always use this app" doesnt help. Opening other files works fine, e.g. for pdf files Outlook uses the Standard app. But for images it just forgets every time.

How do I fix this?

Thank you.

23 Replies

Hi Roman!

Have You tried the following?

Open Control Panel and select Set your default Programs

1DefaultPrograms.PNGClick "Choose default applications by file type"

2ChooseDefaultApplicationsByFileType.PNG

Scroll to jpg and set the program you want to use

3Choose.PNG

Hi Magnus, sure I've tried that. I have a standard app for images, which works fine outside of Outlook. Outlook simply ignores it.

Same here - and in any case, that is what the "always use..." option is Outlook is supposed to do itself!

I have the same problem. I'm using MS exchange on outlook 2013, on Windows Server 2016.

The "always use this app" works everywhere else except in Outlook.

I'm experiencing the same issue - Windows 10 & Office 365.

I've tried all methods to set default as to open JPG as Photos, but I keep getting asked each time.

I have done this many times.  A lot of people keep asking this question.  THIS IS A BUG THAT MUST BE FIXED. THIS IS NAGWARE TRYING TO FORCE PEOPLE TO USE THE MICROSOFT VIEWER.  THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED IN ALL VERSIONS OF OUTLOOK INCLUDING 2010.  STOP PRETENDING THIS IS A CUSTOMER PROBLEM AND GET A CODER TO FIX IT !!!

image.png

I have had this issue and tried pretty much everything I could find including a fresh install of Office.

Nothing worked so I downloaded Process Monitor to see what was occurring when opening the attachment.

Long story short - I found that deleting the registry key located at Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.jpg fixed the issue.

That helped! Thank you so much!

This does not work for me. Any other ideas would be appreciated!
best response confirmed by Roman Frantsev (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Step 1:

Open Regedit and navigate to: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.jpg\OpenWithList

You will have a (Default) key, then multiple keys a-... ,  and finally an MRUList key.

Step 2:

Find the key Microsoft.Windows.Photos_xxx and note the name of key.

Step 3:

Modify the MRUList value and simply enter the key name you noted in step 2.  (In my example it is c but isn't always the case.)

Registry.jpg

That worked for me. Thank you!

This was the answer I needed! Thank you very much!
However, I could not find Microsoft.Windows.Photos_xxx in the list so I just put "C" in the MRUList and it worked! C referred to mspaint but it does not open in paint. The pictures still open in "Windows Photo Viewer" now.
Thank you again!

Yes, that worked for me too. The previous solution worked for a bit, but then it started all over again. Thank you!

@tlampen  Thanks, worked perfect! FYI, in step 3, to modify the MRUList value, just right click on the line item then shows the Name: MRUList, then click Modify. Remove whatever shows in the Value data field and input the single letter noted from step 2. In my case it was the letter B, then click OK.

Has anyone gotten any OTHER photo application to work as a default without being asked? I use LviewPro - which is always listed as the default app, but it STILL asks the question (and the checkbox is ignored), and I have played around with ALL the registry suggestions here and it still makes no difference - it always asks.....

Hello,

I am having a similar issue. I recently had to "fix" Windows 10, which involved a full reinstall. Prior to this everything was working fine.

Now any images (Jpgs, Png) I have won't open. I click on them and get the "Do you want to open with this app" message. I select one, and after a little bit it comes back up.

The odd thing is I have the Whatsapp app on the laptop and images I get through Whatsapp and save will open fine, these are Jpegs.

I have:

Tried setting defaults in the "Default for file type" setting

I have tried Windows Photo (the one is suggests) and Lenovo Photo Master.

I have tried clicking use as default in the message it

I have tried the above bit on changing the registry, using the Windows Photo and Lenovo Photo master point and nothing worked.

I saw elsewhere about updating drivers and everything, so tried all of that. If anyone has any other ideas would be great.

Thanks

Lee

@tlampenyou saved me a lot of headache here, thank you.

This has been driving me nuts for months! Finally after receiving an email with 10 pictures that I wanted to view only from the email, I finally decided today was the day that I was going to figure this out! So glad I came across your post @tlampen ! Thanks so much!

Thanks this finally worked for me :)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Roman Frantsev (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Step 1:

Open Regedit and navigate to: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.jpg\OpenWithList

You will have a (Default) key, then multiple keys a-... ,  and finally an MRUList key.

Step 2:

Find the key Microsoft.Windows.Photos_xxx and note the name of key.

Step 3:

Modify the MRUList value and simply enter the key name you noted in step 2.  (In my example it is c but isn't always the case.)

Registry.jpg

View solution in original post