Outlook for iOS/Android App Availability for Government

Bronze Contributor

Any word on when Government tenants will be able to use the Outlook for iOS/Android mobile apps?

I have users that are disappointed with having to continue to use the poor OWA apps and want to go to the better app.

35 Replies

Sigh . . . still no go with the latest Outlook for Android app in the Play Store.

After waiting so long we finally told our users to just use the built in apps on their mobile devices.

The linked article has details on how to enable GCC compliance for organizations that have either already deployed outlook or will deploy it. 

Yes, read the article. We have no restrictions for apps in our Tenant. So according to article I should just be able to download the app and go.

"Users with devices that are not enrolled in an MDM solution can search for "Microsoft Outlook" in the Apple App Store or Google Play Store and download it from one of those locations."

Did a fresh download of the app out of the Android Play Store and am not prompted to restrict app for GCC use. The app in the store says last updated 3/29/18.

1. Open Outlook on the Android device.

2. On the initial screen, tap to select Restrict app to GCC mode.

I think Microsoft is still rolling out the new Outlook versions that support the new GCC Mode.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Outlook-Blog/The-Outlook-for-iOS-and-Android-architecture-is-...

Q:  When will GCC users be able to set up "GCC Mode" in Outlook on their mobile device?

A:  The Outlook for iOS and Android app that supports the new architecture is rolling out in the iTunes app store and the Google Play store this week.

Why am I not surprised. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

I think I'll give it a few weeks and try again.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Successfully worked for me on iPhone! Glad to have the outlook app back!

Now let me go tell 5,000+ users to flip a switch because Microsoft didn't write an if statement.

Any news on when 2 accounts will be supported? We have multiple users who use a primary account and a shared mailbox. They need to see them both.
Hmm..the version prior to the March 29th update I could see the GCC option, after update it's gone.

Downloaded the app today and of course during initial setup it didn't ask about GCC until the very end of entering information in. Why not have that be part of the initial opening screen?

Then app quit, which it said it would. It took 1/2 dozen tries to re-open the app until it opened without crashing. Finished setting up and now in the app. Going to see how it goes for a week or two as I'm not confident this is the app I want my users to have to use until some of those initial flubs with setting up GCC get rectified. From a usability standpoint, very poor indeed.

Update: Had co-worker install it and while he is using app it crashes. Then when reopened it wants his credentials again. He also said the whole GCC slider was rather convoluted too.

Not a very auspicious start.

We just started installing today.  One issue though - the mail notifications on ios are not showing the message detail, just "You've got mail".  Anyone else seeing this or have it working?

yeah we are seeing the same thing as well, regardless of iOS settings.

Android is the same.

Thanks. Read right over that....Should be an option....sometimes MS really overthinks things.

Sigh, and yet calendar items come across in plain text in notifications on the phone with no obfuscation. So what exactly are they trying to hide?

As it stands I won't be telling my users to use this app any time soon.

Same here.  I have escalated this with our Microsoft rep and he is going to try to find out some answers as to why this is and what their plan is.  I will share if I find anything out.