Copper Contributor

when doing a search "in current mailbox" or other I get an error

"Something went wrong and your search couldn't be completed"

It looks like there's a problem with your network connection

Lets look on your computer instead.

There are no connection issues and my online account is all up to date also

any ideas? 

49 Replies

@dlrash This setting worked for me.  The problem started with the new version of Outlook that moved the search to the top of the window.  The problem was on Exchange accounts that were using a local PST.

Not working on my test user yet either, EX2013 on-prem, Outlook 12730.20352 even with the ADMX template Disable Autodiscover > Disable initial check to Office 365 autodiscover URL

@Andrew Reynolds 

The same issue from couple of days in Office 365, Microsoft is broken Outlook doesn't search, last  windows update is also broken.

I guess M$ hires developers in Africa where guys write code without internet and electricity....

I also created video for some non tech guys:
https://youtu.be/p6vfPbOQxUU

@AlexRomain If you are saying about registry fix

DisableServerAssistedSearch

Make sure to copy its name without trailing space. Restart outlook then. 

@taurus-bis 

how do i undo this ? i have this issue since 5 days now. also its affecting the quick search where it suggest on history or known email adresses

@Andrew Reynolds

Problem still happening today, May 30 2020. With latest office 365 updates installed. On-premises Exchange server, 365 Outlook, cached mode. Registry tweak fixes it, DisableServerAssistedSearch.

@nathandlaird 
for searching my problem is solved but for some reason the search history or mail adress recognition is not working. any work around in that?

Did this get broken again? I'm on Build 12827.20268 Seems like it was working for a week and now broken again. On-Prem Exchange 2019.

ok, I have been getting searching errors since I disabled OWA, Exchange Web Services, POP3, Imap4 and SMTP auth. Microsoft tech support and O365 vendor always pointed to my desktop as being the issues. I have users that worked and many that did not. After 2 months of wasted time with both Pax8 and Microsoft, I figured out that by allowing all the items I blocked allowed my search to work. The way I stumbled on this was I provisioned a new account with a new vendor and by default all is setup on the mailbox and search worked. I thought that fixed it so I applied the  lock down above and still report before lock down searching worked. I then finally just added all items back and 2fa OWA and searching worked for everyone. WOW not sure why but it did.

@Andrew Reynolds Hi Andrew

Outlook Search Problem can be fixed in many ways, however, we need to find the Root cause and fix it step by step;

If the search tab is not Visible, then follow the steps given below;

1: Go to File > Options > Customize.

2: Select All Tabs under the ‘Choose commands from’ section. From the list of tab selections.

3: Select ‘Search’, click ‘Add’, and then click

If this is not the case, then it could be any of the issues given below: -

• Fix Outlook Indexing Status
  • Fix Incomplete Search Results Problem
  • Fix Greyed Out Search Bar in Outlook 2016
  • Fix Personal Folder Outlook Data File (.PST)
  • Disable Add-ins
  • Inspect Windows Search Service
  • Fix Outlook 2016 Search Issue via Windows Registry

You need to follow the steps given in this article, please Click Here for more Details.