I have a user, their computer is constantly asking for the outlook password and they can't get it to recognize it - it was working a week ago. I verified it works on another workstation so it isn't MFA or something with the email account on the host.
Tried creating a new outlook profile - same issue.
I tried sfc /scannow
I tried uninstalling office, rebooting and reinstalling it.
I tried clearing out the %local% xml
I tried going to settings and disconnecting the account and then reconnecting it.
Tried creating a new Windows profile - same issue.
Tried OWA on their computer - no problems.
Tried on another computer - 365 hosted email account works fine.
Tried the enabledal reg entry no louck
tried the audiscover reg entry no luck
If I try to get a new profile I get this prompt over an over
HOWEVER, I do NOT get this login after which I will on a working workstation