[Outlook 365] Send as another adress when TO: is not in own organisation

Copper Contributor

Hello,

It concerns the email addresses of the sales department.

I would like the sender of the message to be customerservice@domain.fr if the recipient does not belong to the domain.fr.
If it belongs to domaine.fr, the sender of the message must be name.firstname@domain.fr

How do I do ? We should create a rule, I think. But i see nothing.

Best regards

Geoffroy

4 Replies

Hello @Geoffroy PINSON,

As far as I know, this is not possible by default with Exchange Online.

To do this in exchange 2016, you would have to use the following command - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/mail-flow/New-AddressRewriteEntry?view=e...

However that command is designed to run on the edge server, which you do not have access too in O365. This blog post talks about how it would function as a whole, but again you can see this is talking about the edge servers which as customers of exchange online, we do not have access too:
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2017/10/26/why-is-my-address-rewriting-not-working-as-e...

To my knowledge you would need to either add in some sort of third party, or additional hop in the sending chain. Something like:

1. If the from address is customerservices@domain.fr, forward the email to this server)

2. Accept the mail at that server, do your manipulation and changes (perhaps with the above commands, perhaps with a third party tool), then send it back out.

Sorry there is not something out of the box, but that is where you stand, hope this helps.

Adam

Thank you for your answer @Adam Ochs !

I have a shared mailbox : customerservices@domain.fr

Is not there something to do with shared email addresses?

Do you think I can systematically put customerservices@domain.fr in the from: customerservices@domain.fr ? or put customerservices@domain.fr as the default adresse From ?

Best regards

Geoffroy

Hey @Geoffroy PINSON,

You can for sure send mail as that shared mailbox.

If you want to always have this listed as an option in the from field,  you will have to add the shared mailbox as additional account in Outlook (via File -> Add account) as opposed to adding it as additional mailbox (via Account settings -> More -> Advanced or via AutoMapping).

When you go to that mailbox in outlook and create a new mail, it should auto create it as that account. If not you should have a dropdown that allows you to select it.

Hope this works!
Adam

Hi Geoffroy,

if you ready to use a third-party cloud  service that will rewrite the From address, you can buy a so called "Unconditional sender rewriting rule" here

Regards,

Victor Ivanidze