Brass Contributor

Hi Folks!

First actual thread...!

Ok, I have a REALLY strange one. 

Setting the stage:

Policy regulated e-mail signatures...

500 users and this is the lone outlier

Symptoms:

User creates a new e-mail, replies, forwards and there is no signature.  But hold...there IS a signature there...it's just not showing and when you hover your mouse over it the OUTLINE of the signature shows up!  With no fill.  The e-mails arrive at their destination with signature intact AND perfectly visible.  Also, sometimes the signature is not an outline but shows graphics from whatever was one the screen prior...like it's super-imposed "in" the signature.  Then, the same result.  Shows up at the destination as if nothing is wrong. Strangest thing I've ever seen.

We've deleted profiles, logged in with other users and it's the same for everyone that logs into that machine.  Uninstalled Office, tried different versions...same thing.  "Trying" not to have to rebuild this PC but thought I'd throw this up here BEFORE I go that far.

Has anyone seen such a thing?

Kirk

4 Replies

@KirkMcCurdy Hello! Missing some details how this has been set up. But if you're talking about a "company-wide signature" only recipients will see them.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-company-wide-email-signature-ad8368a7-e064-49e9-ab...

@ChristianBergstrom  Thanks for reaching out!

Actually, what I meant was that our Signature is manged via GPO.  So the whole organization gets the exact same Signature.  Of course, with the necessary modifications of name, ext. etc....

Everybody works save for this one user.  This signature is "there" when you create, forward, reply.  You just can't SEE it!  Not until you move your mouse over it...then it shows the outline of the signature.

Finally...even though you can't see it.  Upon sending...if you go to the recipient...it looks just fine.  It's more of a hinderance to the user because it's more of a mental mind game.  He can't see it yet he knows his clients will be able to see it.  Just odd.

Kirk

@KirkMcCurdy So only for one user and using GPO, thanks for making that clear! Well, I haven't heard or seen the behavior previously. If this particular user has the same policy/policies assigned as all the others and the Outlook profile etc. has been recreated the next step perhaps is a new Windows profile or just set up a new image. The latter is recommended when troubleshooting a client takes twice the time of loading a new image ;)

@ChristianBergstrom, yes...that's where we are, I believe.  It'll be faster just to re-image the system than to go crazy hunting down a gremlin.  Thanks to everyone who contributed!