OneNote Whiteboard Query/Issue

Copper Contributor

Hello, 

Currently we have Surface Hubs, and on the whiteboard app you can do work and then save / send it as a OneNote file. This is fantastic as you can then go back to edit it at a further date by opening it via the OneDrive app on the Surface Hub.

On the Whiteboard app downloaded from the Microsoft Store, I cannot see the option to save the file as a OneNote. The reason I was curios was so that I could create a OneNote file from the Whiteboard app at home and then come in the next day and load it to the Whiteboard app on a Surface Hub.

At the moment you can only save from the Whiteboard app on your laptop to a PNG, which isn't ideal as you cannot erase etc and can only draw on the PNG.

2 Replies
Yeah, no onenote! Whiteboard is it’s own service! You can fetch earlier whiteboards and continue working on them via the whiteboard app!
When you create on they are also in onedrive:

“When you start a collaboration session, Whiteboard creates a folder named Whiteboard App Data in your OneDrive for Business to store your shared whiteboards. After some collaboration sessions, this folder may continue to sync or process changes indefinitely. You can fix this by choosing to not sync the Whiteboard App Data folder to your device. Disabling sync for this folder won't limit your ability to use Whiteboard for collaboration sessions.“

Only export to png from whiteboard is available currently

I also thought it was odd that Whiteboard on my Surface Book only allowed me to export to PNG. I find it much easier to start a sketch in Whiteboard than to decide where the right place to file it inside my many OneNote Notebooks. However, I would like to be able to file it later, and continue to edit the sketch or the notes at a later date. I am also concerned about Whiteboard leaving no easily identifiable file for me to back up or go back to if there is an issue with the online service.

To hear that Whiteboard on the Surface Hub already allows you to export to OneNote, it seems like this feature is ripe for the adding to Whiteboard for non-Surface Hubs.